Thread: New "Competent" Photographica Auction House?

New "Competent" Photographica Auction House?

I have often complained here about the lack of effort put into auction lot descriptions by the "usual gang" of UK and mainland Europe auction houses. They manage photos quite well, but fall down in length and quality of descriptions - both in terms of what the item is and what it's condition is. LP Foto in Stockholm actual admits that "items valued as being under 1000 SEK are not really looked at".

Chiswick Auctions (London) has, I think, started a Photographica section and has an auction in the middle of May. The descriptions are better than anything I have seen before and I hope the other houses put their act together!

https://auctions.chiswickauctions.co...=3&pageSize=60

I have absolutely no knowledge of the auction house or the person(s) involved. But I have sent them an email with appreciation of their effort!

Eric Biggerstaff

Re: New "Competent" Photographica Auction House?

That is a fun site Steven, I agree, they have done a nice job in describing items and there is a lot of fun things listed. There are a few photos I may want to bid on. Thanks for posting!!!
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I don't know anything about antique collecting, but thought it a little sad to see such low estimate prices (150 to 350 GBP) for those beautiful old view cameras as an indicator of lack of value or interest in those by contemporary society. Especially in light of the very high cost of contemporary view cameras (Linhof = $10,000USD, Canham 11x14 = $8,000USD, Shen-Hao 11x14 = $10,000USD, etc.).
    Maybe it is a 'buyer's market' for collectors right now.

ic, the estimates are a little fanciful. For example, the estimate for an Envoy Wide Angle camera seems very low. Not LF, 2x3 on 120 film, and with a 64/6.5 TTH lens.

Estimates are low for a reason

Think about it
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post

Think about it
    Hope springs eternal and all that, Randy, but I'm still not going to bid on that Envoy. I have too many ~ 65 mm lenses that cover 2x3. The estimate is higher than another such lens, even from TTH, is worth to me.

Note the 25% buyer's premium. The price the buyer actually pays, if an item goes for the low estimate, is 25% more. And then there are delivery charges. More than more than I'm willing to pay ...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post

Think about it
    But add in up to 30% commission + shipping + perhaps internet bid costs and the 'hammer' price is substantially below actual payment cost. I often see auction items go for prices which, once additional fees have been added, are higher than dealer/ebay prices. Not all, and there are some auction bargains for sure, but after adding fees and shipping, estimates were often not far off ebay/dealer prices - though some do seem prepared to pay more than these at auctions.