Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New FLM Tripod for LF/ULF

New FLM Tripod for LF/ULF

Hi everyone,

(posted with moderator approval)

Hi everyone,

FLM has just announced a new tripod, the Berlin 38.4.
    The tripod is the first from FLM to be bowl-capable and it can use both 75mm and 100mm standard-size bowl accessories.
    It's an excellent tripod for anyone shooting LF or ULF.

The specs are quite impressive, it's a great combination of strength, versatility and portability.
    The Indiegogo campaign is offering the tripod at 26% to 31% off.
    Delivery is slated for end of January/early February 2018.

Have a look, and let me know if you have any questions: https://igg.me/at/berlin384/x/11127085

Thank you
    Last edited by Ari; 21-Oct-2017 at 07:35.

Re: New FLM Tripod for LF/ULF

How much can you tilt the bowl contraption when you have screwed on a LF camera directly only the post or do you have to add a head of some kind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

20 degrees.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    20 degrees.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Angus,
    Peter is correct about the tilt angle. Using a bowl in place of a head saves on weight, bulk and cost.
    Most camera placement isn't extreme, so no ball head needed in those cases; more so with LF.

You can use the camera directly mounted to the stud screw atop the leveling bowl, or do as I did, and secure a quick-release clamp to the top of the leveling bowl.
    That way, mounting and unmounting your camera is faster and, I think, more secure.

I've been using the new tripod with a combination of a Gitzo Series 2/3/4 bowl adapter and a Manfrotto 75mm leveling bowl. The fit and function are both seamless.
    Attached is a photo of that set-up with a Sinar 810 on top.

Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DMV3237.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	171097

I’ve done something similar. It’s very sturdy.

Ari, is there a center column option?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Peter, I have the only prototype center column, made early in the design phase, so the tools and plans are there, but we don't intend on offering it as an option.
    Almost all the photographers who have been asking for this tripod were also asking for the center post to be eliminated completely.

Fair enough, Ari. I've been photographing a fair number of buildings lately, and so getting up high is sometimes important. Good luck with the sale! It looks like an excellent tripod.

Thank you, Peter; I realize the maximum height will put off some people, but the trade-off is that it's a ULF tripod that could fit in a carry-on suitcase.
    If this campaign goes well, we'll start developing a 3-section, 6-foot version of the Berlin 38.4.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The low maximum height (56") is a deal killer for me. My Gitzo Mountaineer Mk-2 has a maximum height of 66" and has a center column option. Except for the maximum load capacity (26.5 lbs) the other specs are close. The heaviest camera I have mounted on the Gitzo was a Toyo 810G (19 lbs),which with the lens and film holder came close to the max, worked fine with the tripod but not so good with a ball head so I now use a Manfrotto 475B which has a 3-way head and geared center column for that camera. The Toyo 810 MII works fine with the G-1348 and ball head.

I've been on and off toying with the idea of getting a center column and step ladder for the G-1348 for those shots that require an elevated position without resorting to a "giant" tripod.

Correction: Actually I wen t from the 1348 to the Manfrotto and then to a Gitzo G1500 with G1570M head. The large plate on the G1570M allows for 2 tripod blocks to be used which greatly increases stability.

Best regards,

Thomas