Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B&S Pyrocat-HD Developer...

Re: B&S Pyrocat-HD Developer...

As for what I did... I heated up about 150-200ml distilled water in the 1000ml beaker and stirred in a bit of the dry components in at a time after heating it on the stove to 50c with a thermometer, after dissolving the entire content of the 500ml bottle, which was maybe 5% full of dry chem, I added a bit more distilled water and stirred until I got to 500ml and then let it sit for 30-40mins and then put it back into the bottle and shaked it to mix in the rest of the dry that was residual in the bottle. I may have a bit less than 500ml in my bottle right now after cooling from 50c but it should be within a few percent of where I should be with the solution A. Solution B was premixed as it has an indefinite shelf life from what i've read...

B/S folks said that solution a is dry so as to keep a good long shelf life and even though it's advertised as a wet kit they keep solution a dry so it doesn't deteriorate over time. They offered to mix it next time if I put some note in the order in the instructions field.

The PF dry kit I bought previously had all the components dry and in separate little baggies. I suppose you could even measure out and mix smaller batches of stock solution a if you wanted from that kit, I was just not equipped with lab ware to mix that in a way that I was comfortable with at the time I received it. I'm perhaps a bit too uptight about how some of this, but I just don't want any chance to mix anything with something used for food at home.

Next time I'm going to look at mixing it up in glycol or order the glycol mixed kit.

If you are anticipating a long time between days developing film, then glycol is the way to go.

KenS

I have been using Pyrocat HD (mixed form the 'scratch' chemical components)
    in BTZS tubes for both my 4x5 and 8x10 film. After many years of either tray or hangers-in-tank development I have found Pyrocat HD used in tubes to be probably
    the least expensive and 'best' developer I have ever used after some 60+ years of large format film development.

Ken

It certainly is a great developer in many regards, Ken. It's been my main developer for about 15 years.