Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TOP is interested in hearing from photographers who still do LF contact printing

TOP is interested in hearing from photographers who still do LF contact printing

For those here who don't follow Mike Johnston's blog, The Online Photographer, this morning Mike posted a call for examples of large format contact printing. No money involved, nor is this a contest of any kind, and he's asking only for jpgs, not for actual prints. He's interested in getting a sense of who is doing LF contact printing these days and what they're up to, and plans to post some samples at the end of next week.

Here's a link to the post:

Baker's Dozen: Sheet Film (Call for Work)

Re: TOP is interested in hearing from photographers who still do LF contact printing

The call is now closed, and here is the resulting post:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...ct-prints.html

Re: TOP is interested in hearing from photographers who still do LF contact printing

I'm pretty excited to have been selected by Mike to be featured in the post considering I'm a total beginner in contact printing. Looking forward to making more though.

It's sometimes hard to know who people are by their handles, but congratulations to Thom Bennett, Will Whitaker,
    Monty McCutchen, Gary Nylander and Denise Ross.

New Orleans, LA

Happy to be included!

Wow, I made it too with the photo of my mom. Thanks Mike.

Very neat to be included. Quite honored, actually. Thanks to Mike J. Also to Oren for alerting us!

Dave Karp

Congrats to all!

Submitted for fun, didn't get featured. Would love to know why, in terms of honest critique - though I have no idea if he even received my email due to no response. As some may have seen recently I have posted a few contact print scans on the forum but specifically this is the one I sent in.

Nice to see a variety of CPs.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Paradise, AKA Keuka Lake in beautiful Upstate New York

Hi Corran,
    Honestly it's just that there's only so much space. I got about 45 submissions for 13 slots, and could have chosen many alternates. What I'm going for is variety and maybe the "twist," what you might call "ancillary interest," for instance the entry that allowed me to mention HABS/HAER. In some cases when there are similar entries I only picked one. For instance I chose a B&W portrait by Chris Fazio, and could have used an equally good one from Bill Cowan. Tough call.

Sometimes the presentation is key. Mike Rozier holding various prints was different than any other entry, and Bill Wyke's double picture of himself holding the print in a tray with a shot of the print next to it was a shoo-in from the start.

I've judged many contests and edited many features, and it's seldom just about judging whether any particular entry is "good" or "bad," although many people who enter tend to see it that way. It's more that the mix has to have the right balance overall and appeal to the broadest audience.

Sorry yours didn't get picked this time around, but thanks for participating!

All best,
    Mike J.

P.S. You think it was hard this time, I've already gotten several hundred submissions for the Smartphone Baker's Dozen.... :-\