Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: mystique of an 8x10 Deardorff?

Re: mystique of an 8x10 Deardorff?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to put front shift on a Deardorff? I know about swinging front and rear to get the effect but would like to have an honest inch or so of front shift.
    On the Deardorffs, my Uncle quotes his friend Tillman Crane often with "one can never own too many Deardorffs".
    It's explained in Ken Hough's website. You rotate the camera slightly then you swing the front standard and rear frame and the opposite direction to get the shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    It's explained in Ken Hough's website. You rotate the camera slightly then you swing the front standard and rear frame and the opposite direction to get the shift.
    Exactly - its easy to emulate an inch or two of shift this way.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Exactly - its easy to emulate an inch or two of shift this way.
    And a pain in the butt and takes more time and fiddling. Would like a quick shift left or right without all the fiddling around.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I'd be asking Richard Ritter if he could work his magic to add shift to a Deardorff if I was wanting front shift.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Thanks for the explanation

Andrew

And how often are shifts used? I can't recall using them on my Sinar in some 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    And how often are shifts used? I can't recall using them on my Sinar in some 20 years
    Photographing glass in old doors. Front shift helps keep the reflection out of the image. Tweaking both front and back and doing swing with each takes longer and is not as easy in really cold weather.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

New Orleans, LA

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Photographing glass in old doors. Front shift helps keep the reflection out of the image. Tweaking both front and back and doing swing with each takes longer and is not as easy in really cold weather.
    One of the reasons I got rid of my Deardorff and got a KMV; KMV has front shift, quicker focus, easier to grab knobs, and a bit more rise/fall. Plus it is metal and not as precious as a wooden camera. Having said that, I very rarely have the need for shift. And I certainly enjoyed the mystique of the Deardorff for all those years I owned it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Douglas-Kirkland.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	172181

Some things simply are - and cannot be explained. The Deardorff V8 is an odd combination of features both refined and crude. The bottom line is that it works. And has worked - for decades. And for some notable people. And I think those last two factors largely support the mystique.

Personally, I came to the Deardorff with the naive expectation that it would be the end of the line. As in, "This is the end of the line, bub. Offa the train! T'ain't no more stops!"
    Ironically, it was just the beginning. I have had or used 3 8x10 Deardorffs, 2 5x7's and a Triamapro or whatever that thing was. Never thought a monorail camera was for me, oh no. But I settled (such as it is) on a Sinar Norma, appreciating its engineering, fit & finish and overall aesthetic beauty. But I also prize my Ansco. Especially on a cold morning!

For a while I prized an 8x10 Gandolfi. But that was like taking my grandmother's heirloom furniture camping.

To each his own.
    fwiw, ~W