Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 045N-2 Lens Position Question

Chamonix 045N-2 Lens Position Question

Can anyone explain why on the Chamonix 045N-2 we have to put different focal length lens say (150mm and 90mm) in the different holes.

Is there a reason why we cannot use one standard hole and move the rear standard back and forth ?

Re: Chamonix 045N-2 Lens Position Question

Well, do we?

I think you can take the hole you want, there's no difference between front standard focusing and back standard focusing.

You have to feel comfortable with focusing in the way you decide to do.

Probably it's much easier to take the hole which gives you the most way of focusing with the front standard moving.

Are you asking why we would ever need to change the focal length of the lens?

Quote Originally Posted by martinf5 View Post
    Well, do we?

I think you can take the hole you want, there's no difference between front standard focusing and back standard focusing.

You have to feel comfortable with focusing in the way you decide to do.

Probably it's much easier to take the hole which gives you the most way of focusing with the front standard moving.
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking, just need to make sure i was on the right track

I have a Chamonix 45N-2 and the only consideration I have for placing the front standard is focusing on an object, e.g., whose distance is the focal length of the lens. In that case I want to have the REAR standard as far forward as I can so that I can crank back the standard to focus. Then the hole that I use depends on the focal length of the lens. I also have the 140mm "bed extension" which gives me lots of flexibility. I purchased the extension because I have a 300mm lens.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Foamer

By having different holes, the camera can be smaller and still take a wide range of lenses. The Chamonix 045n is the most versatile camera I've owned.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

If you carry several focal lengths you will find that you have to not only pick the correct hole but also have to move the rear standard forward/backward. I carry 65, 90, 135, 180, and 250mm lenses. I pretty much use all the holes from back to front in that order. I first focus with rear standard, then refine with the front focus knob. When you focus on a close object back extension may not provide enough focus, so you have to move forward a hole or two for the front standard.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    If you carry several focal lengths you will find that you have to not only pick the correct hole but also have to move the rear standard forward/backward. I carry 65, 90, 135, 180, and 250mm lenses. I pretty much use all the holes from back to front in that order. I first focus with rear standard, then refine with the front focus knob. When you focus on a close object back extension may not provide enough focus, so you have to move forward a hole or two for the front standard.
    The Chamonix is the only LF camera I have owned or used for that matter.

Compared to the traditional fine focusing on the outside of the camera at the front, do you find the Chamonix easier or harder to use with the focus knob at the rear.

I personally can and do get tied up sometimes especially as I cannot find a reasonable place to to anchor the dark cloth

On my Chamonix 8x10 I only have one lens which has a focal length of 360mm if I place the front standard on the very front hole (which is ~360mm from the rear standard) I sometimes find it hard to nail focus at infinity. What I tend to do is set the camera up having the front standard back one hole and that gives me room to move the front standard back and forwards to focus..............I have three lenses for the Chamonix 45n2 90 210 and 360.............Ive yet to figure out where to place each of the lenses as I haven't received the camera yet............its on a delivery van But I will probably do the same as what I do on the 8x10

Neil
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

I have an 8x10 and simply labeled into which hole each of my lenses should be mounted in with the rear standard in its "home" position. No second guessing and very convenient.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8x10base.jpg