Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice: 8x10 300mm f5.6 Portrait lens

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Looking for advice: 8x10 300mm f5.6 Portrait lens

For 8x10 I'd recommend a 360 over a 300. On the P67, the 165 (or 120 soft) is a better choice than the 105.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by formanproject View Post
    Hello!

So I recently purchased a 4x5 camera, and I have to say, I'm hooked. Photography has never been so fun!

I am thinking about purchasing an 8x10 camera soon as well, although mainly for a very specific purpose. I am looking for that "large format portrait look" (basically shooting a 300mm at f5.6 for environmental portraits) and then contact printing, and was wondering if anyone had any advice for the best bang for your buck 300mm.

Ideally i'm looking to spend 300 or less, since this camera will have a very niche use for me. I've seen a few on eBay but am not sure where to really start!

For reference - my go to lens in medium format is the carl zeiss 80mm f2.0 for contax for portraits as well as the pentax 67 105mm f2.4 SMC lens, to give an idea of the quality I like in the bokeh I shoot.

Thank you!
    If you want the same angle of view you don't wanta 300 mm,.you want a 480 mm lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I'd say a Wollensak Velostigmat Series II, which is an f/4.5 Tessar. And go for one with a diffusion ring at the front; it's a nice option to have, one that the other lenses don't have. Note that these often come in older Betax shutters that don't have flash synch, but you can add a synched Packard Shutter for studio strobe work.
    Wow, thanks Mark! I got one of these a couple of months ago and haven't put it on my 8x10 yet because of the sync issue. When you said this, I realized how stupid I've been: I already have a Packard on the 8x10 in a reducing board that takes my 5x7 boards, which is what I mount all the bbl lenses on. The Wolly is living on the 5x7 camera waiting for me to solve the synch problem, but I never made the connection to mount it on the shutter board instead of the reducing board I also use. Dumb, dumb, dumb me!
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Trust me, Michael, you're going to love it! One of the great classic lenses of the early twentieth century.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Boy, did you walk into a hornet's nest!!!

I suggest you go through the many posts on the monthly portraits thread. See which images appeal to you and note which lens was used. I would also make a note of the lighting used as that will have a great effect your results, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    I suggest you go through the many posts on the monthly portraits thread. See which images appeal to you and note which lens was used. I would also make a note of the lighting used as that will have a great effect your results, too.
    Ok that's a good idea! Can't you point me in the direction of the monthly portrait thread? I'm new to the forums so not sure where it's located. Thanks!

EDIT: Found it!

The depth of field with an 8x10 shooting wide open is razor thin. The subject has to stay still while you close the lens, load the film holder, pull the slide.... It's challenging.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Dave Karp

For portraits, some in the past have recommended the 300mm Fujinon L.

Quote Originally Posted by formanproject View Post
    The Fujinon 300mm 5.6 looks enticing... how would that compare to say the nikkor 300mm 5.6? Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far!

One says Fujinon one says Nikkor on the lens other than that I doubt you'll see much difference in the image.