Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scitex Eversmart Pro DPI Limitations

Re: Scitex Eversmart Pro DPI Limitations

I have the IQSMART but I think they both work the same way wrt wet scanning. There's a mounting station and basically the top glass comes out and gets placed in the mounting station where you wet mount. I think in the old days they'd have 2 or 3 glass panels per machine and someone would be mounting on one panel and then the panel would get swapped with the one in the machine. So no wet mounting would happen on the scanner itself. The top glass panel in my scanner has a handle at each end and this was how they've carry them around

Hi Jim,

I would love to try the mounting station (I'm not 100% positive they were made for the ES Pro). Trouble is I don't think there are too many around and the price might be a bit over my budget so hence my quest for a DIY solution (other than improving my housekeeping skills). So far no luck on my research so it sounds like I need to bust out the vacuum and get to work. Regardless, it is good to hear that 2 or 3 of these were used to increase shop production as I now have hope that more that a few of them are still around. Even if it doesn't work on my scanner, I will keep an eye out for one as I can easily see myself upgrading to the Pro II or Supreme sometime down the road. Have I mentioned yet that I absolutely love this thing?

Thanks!
    M

Hi Maddie,

The Eversmart and JAZZ scanners all use the same glass. They did make a very nice wet mounting station for these scanners but I really don't think you need it. Invest in anti static scanner wipes and a good oil-free air compressor and you'll do much better with dust and with very little effort. The way these scanners are designed, you also don't have to worry about the typical newton ring issues. The only thing you are possible missing with dry mounting is the benefit of hiding film scratches that wet mounting helps with.

If you are curious about the wet mounting station, check out this youtube video that shows what the setup looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvXW7ZG2b6o

Regards,

Pali

BTW, just as a caution make sure the handles are still glued firmly to the scanner glass before you attempt to take the glass out.

Pali

Michael streeter has them. The mounting station as I recall is in the neighborhood of $1k, the glass panels are more reasonable. Not sure these numbers are correct - just what I sort of remember from talking to him when I got my IQSmart.

Edit

Found the e-mail - he quoted $1k for the mounting station, but he really doesn't think it's necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    Hi Maddie,

The Eversmart and JAZZ scanners all use the same glass. They did make a very nice wet mounting station for these scanners but I really don't think you need it.
    Regards,

Pali
    Perhaps I am mistaken but my understanding is that the glass of Eversmart scanners has an anti-reflection coating, and that of the JAZZ scanners is plain glass. You can fluid mount on either surface, but the anti-reflection coating of the Eversmart is very thin and may suffer scratch marks when cleaning the fluid from the glass.

When I worked with the Eversmart Pro I owned two glass beds and used the one with abraded anti-reflection coating for fluid mounting. The fluid basically fills in the scratches on both negatives/transparencies and on the scanner glass. I also owned a fluid mounting station with a glass bed, but did not use it very much since I found it very easy to just fluid mount on the regular glass.

The Eversmart literature that I have seen recommends fluid mounting only with magnification of 8X or more. I personally fluid mounted virtually every negative I scanned since I never saw a drawback in doing so, and in many cases the fluid mount was superior in terms of contrast, grain smoothing and/or eliminating the appearance of dust and debris.

For securing the negative to the glass I used 3-M blue line masking type, same type you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes.

With regard to the ppi limitation of the Eversmart Pro, it is 3275 ppi, and it is the only scanner I ever tested with a resolution target that actually exceeded the advertised resolution.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

The way Michael explained it to me is that the glass for the IQSmart 3 is ANR and the glass for the others is an etched (maybe that's what you meant by abraded???) surface. Which I guess would also be sort of ANR. I don't know if there's different glass for the Eversmart, but I sort of doubt it - I'll check with Michael. I wonder if the glass for the mounting station might be different?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    The way Michael explained it to me is that the glass for the IQSmart 3 is ANR and the glass for the others is an etched (maybe that's what you meant by abraded???) surface. Which I guess would also be sort of ANR. I don't know if there's different glass for the Eversmart, but I sort of doubt it - I'll check with Michael. I wonder if the glass for the mounting station might be different?
    What I meant by abraded was that the anti-reflection coating on the surface of the Eversmart base glass had been scratched/marked from repeated cleaning. The coating is very thin, like the coating on a lens. The anti-newton glass of the Eversmart is the top glass that contacts the film when the lid is closed. I don't know about the IQSmart but am fairly certain that the base glass of the JAZZ does not have the anti-reflection coating.

I am fairly certain that the Eversmart fluid mounting adaptor had a glass bed with no coating as it would not have been necessary when fluid mounting. Course, if you buy a used one the glass could have been broken and replaced.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

>> IQSmart 3 is ANR and the glass for the others is an etched

Only Jazz and Jazz+ were sold with the ANR (etched) base glass (~$500 a piece). The same type of glass was sold with fluid mounting station. The rest of Eversmart scanners were sold with coated base glass (~$900 a piece).
    Both can be used for fluid-mounted scanning, and none actually requires the mounting station. Kami supplies(fluid and tape) are the way to go.

SergeyT

I heard back from Michael Streeter as follows

Good Morning James,

While the glass of the iQsmart and Eversmart look similar, they are different and cannot be used interchangeably. The iQsmart scanner glass is slightly larger than that of the Eversmart and the handle positions on the glasses are different between the two series of scanners.

There are two different glasses for both the iQsmart and the Eversmart scanners; one is AN and the other is AR.

The AR glass is coated on both sides to prevent glare when scanning dry material. The AN glass is etched and has no coating and is used primarily for wet mounting, but can also be used for dry mounting too.

While you could wet mount on both glasses, it is highly recommended to use only the AN glass. Because the AR glass is coated, mounting fluid can permeate this coating and erode it. It also makes cleaning the glass very difficult.

The AN glass is not coated and, therefore, is perfect for oil mounting. The etching of the AN glass does not effect the quality of the scan yet protects from Newton rings.

There is some confusion because some scanners were sold with AN glass (iQsmart1, iQsmart2 and Eversmart Jazz series) as a standard; these scanners were not equipped AR glass like the other models. I am not necessarily clear on why SCITEX/CREO designed these specific scanners with the AN glass as the standard; I can only assume it was based on price. I believe their thought was to produce an all around scanner that offered all the quality of the top tier scanners, but at a more appealing price point. I have actually tested the AN glass against the AR glass, in dry scanning, and I cannot see any discernible difference in quality.

Jim, in your case, the iQsmart2 has the AN glass as a standard. You can either use it for dry or wet mounting.

I hope this explanation helps and does not cause more confusion.

Best Regards,
    Michael

And I asked him about whether the upper glass was ANR

Yes it is. Also, when oil mounting, the user usually receives a set of small stick-on bumpers as part of the oil mounting kit. These bumpers are approximate 1/4” high and one should be stuck on each of the corners of the base glass. This keeps the upper glass from making contact with the oil mounted content to prevent Newton rings or other anomalies.

Best Regards,
    Michael
    Last edited by Jim Andrada; 9-Oct-2017 at 15:57.