Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wooden tripods

wooden tripods

I am seriously contemplating purchasing a wooden tripod to use with my hassy and a 5x4 field camera.The problem is that there don't appear to be a wealth of inf ormation available.I would really appreciate any remarks from user about the pro s and cons.For example there seems to be a marked difference in the price of a R ies and a Berlebach;Is there an obvious reason which I am oblivious to?

wooden tripods

for ries take a look here http://www.riestripod.com/index.htm they give all they can about their tripod. surely the better wooden tripod. I also appreciate berblach one ( but don't like the zone vi) I think calumet sell berblach so you can go on www. calumet.com

wooden tripods

I have a Berlebach tripod that I bought from Calumet and am very pleased with it. It is much, much less expensive than the Ries.

wooden tripods

BTW, do the Berlebach tripods allow the legs to be independently lock at any angle (0 to 90 degrees)? I've found this to be a very useful feature of the Ries especially when shooting on uneven ground.

wooden tripods

The Reis is a very fine tripod. I have had one for many years, but use it only when working at home or very close to my truck in the field. For portability, I use a Gitzo, much lighter, but not as nice as the Reis. You might try logging on to http://www.stabil.nu/suitcase. This is a very interesting Swedish tripod, appears to be beautifully made and with an interesting combination of wood and aluminum. But, if you don't have to lug your gear very far, the Reis with a Reis head is in a class by itself.

wooden tripods

If I am reading it correctly, according to their latest promotional flyer, Calum et is discontinuing carrying Berlebach tripods. It looks like they are selling t hem at about half price. (12/2/99).

wooden tripods

Ellis is right. I just bought a Berlebach (the big one for my 8x10) with built in ball head for $119 from Calumet. This seemed to be about 1/4 the price of the next most expensive leg/head alternative, wood or metal, I could find for 8x10. The ball head has limited range of motion, but enough for LF. Calumet is offering that deal on the web, and now in their stores (where I got mine). Not much experience with it yet, but so far, I'm happy with it. (By the way, it does have variable leg spread--three different settings.) They make smaller models that would probably be a better match for 4x5 and medium format, but I don't know if the deals are comparable.

wooden tripods

Not to confuse the issue but Ted Bromwell offers a series of wooden sticks with ball and socket crowns, some with extension columns, some without. The Master, the largest of the lot weighs a little more than the big Reiss, but costs about half and is rated for greater weight.

wooden tripods

I've always wondered how a manufacturer determines the maximum weight a tripod will handle. Does someone know what standards Ries, Gitzo, and Bogen use?

wooden tripods

I'm hardly an expert but have spent a fair amount of time shooting a 6x7 pentax form a tripod. Some important considerations:

1) If you are doing outdoor work, good metal spike feet are a must. The midgit ones that bogen supplies don't look like they'd be worth much. Their plastic aftermamrket ones fill me with distrust also. You need feet that will gip solid on rock or ice.

2) IF yo are working in sandy areas like the beach, or desert area, it really helps to have a model that you can take apart in the filed to de-grit it occasionally. I've talked to Gitzo users who said their tripods last about 3 years tops in S. Utah (where there's sand EVERYWHERE). If you're in such an area, I'd avoid wood designs that will fill with grit easily. Not only will they be sticky, but that raspy noice of sand against wood really can get on your nerves.

I've had a Ries C100 and it has been exceptional. Very stable even with out the Tri-lock gizmos of the J100s. THey make a backpack model that folds smaller. It looks frail but I have yet to damage mine, even after hauling it on some punishing hikes. I suppose if you are very tall, and don't use a very high head, you might want to consider something with a centerpost extension (which I think weakens a tripod). I'm 6' 5" and use a bogen 3047 head and it's plenty tall enough.

Good luck

T