Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Studio Strobe and slower shutter speeds ( 1/4 - 1/60 )

Re: Studio Strobe and slower shutter speeds ( 1/4 - 1/60 )

zero point

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    You can also divert power from the plasma conduits to the deflector dish to power the flash unit warp coils. That way the tachyon burst prolongs the shutter's relative exposure time continuum...

Oh, wait, that's Star Trek. Never mind...
    Stuff and nonsense; you cannot change the laws of physics.
    Everyone knows that emitting a tachyon pulse will cause the shutter to be rendered inoperable for at least 4 hours, during which time you can easily disarm your average Romulan.

Kevin Kolosky

Back when I was doing a lot of weddings I used this technique almost every week. For altar photos of the wedding party prior to the service I would meter my lights (photogenic) for proper exposure for the wedding party. I would set that exposure into my camera. Then I would meter the background and make adjustments. As you know, the inverse square law states that light falls off with the square of the distance. since I didn't want to carry a lot of strobes to also light the background, and since the strobes I was using were aimed at the people, the light from those strobes fell off considerably before hitting the background. the only way to correct for that was to drag the shutter, which I did most of the time. So sometimes in very dark churches I was shooting at f 8 at 1/2 second or even f8 at 1 second in order to get some decent detail in the background. Of course I would have to tell everyone to hold very still during these long (for people shots anyway) exposures. And since light is additive, the low incident light didn't have much effect on the flash exposure on the people.

So yes, dragging the shutter is a very good technique for balancing between strobe and incident light.

I shoot in dim studios with flash often, many of my lenses are in Ilex #5 shutters (max speed 1/50) or barrel lenses used with Packard shutters (max speed depends on size, but generally not faster than 1/30 or so )
    When using strobes at full power, the flash duration is longer than at lower power settings. It's unlikely you'll have any trouble at 1/500, and less likely slower than that. (rational is that most flash durations are in the 4th decimal place, less than 1/1000.
    1/500 = 0.002 Seconds, or "two Thousanths")
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    I shoot in dim studios with flash often, many of my lenses are in Ilex #5 shutters (max speed 1/50) or barrel lenses used with Packard shutters (max speed depends on size, but generally not faster than 1/30 or so )
    When using strobes at full power, the flash duration is longer than at lower power settings. It's unlikely you'll have any trouble at 1/500, and less likely slower than that. (rational is that most flash durations are in the 4th decimal place, less than 1/1000.
    1/500 = 0.002 Seconds, or "two Thousanths")
    Some studio strobes, for the past 30 odd years, have constant flash duration at all outputs. Some others allow you to vary the duration regardless of power setting.