Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exploded diagram/Spare parts for the Calumet C-1

Exploded diagram/Spare parts for the Calumet C-1

Hi,

I'm in the process of purchasing a Calumet C-1 that is missing a couple of parts. I don't know the exact number of the items so does anyone know where I can get hold of a kind of exploded diagram of the camera enabling me to identify the parts?

Also is there a source for the parts stil? I'm thinking that since calumet US folded is it possible to find a supplier? I'm based in the uk but don't imagine that calumet U.K. will have any parts, I don't think that they even have parts for ANY analogue cameras.

Thanks,
    Danny.

Joel Edmondson

Re: Exploded diagram/Spare parts for the Calumet C-1

Probably pretty difficult to locate... most of the parts (with the exception of locking knobs) are pretty generic but are SAE, not metric. Jose - who was at Calumet forever - was always a great source but, as far as I know, he retired when they folded. Once you have the camera you can inquire here on the forum in hope that someone has a junker to cannibalize. That said, they are pretty simple and any competent machinist can probably fix you up in short order. For what they are - a no-nonsense work-horse with no frills - they are great cameras.
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Edmondson View Post
    Probably pretty difficult to locate... most of the parts (with the exception of locking knobs) are pretty generic but are SAE, not metric. Jose - who was at Calumet forever - was always a great source but, as far as I know, he retired when they folded. Once you have the camera you can inquire here on the forum in hope that someone has a junker to cannibalize. That said, they are pretty simple and any competent machinist can probably fix you up in short order. For what they are - a no-nonsense work-horse with no frills - they are great cameras.
    Joel
    Hi Joel,

Thanks for your reply. What's SAE? I haven't come across that term before. I contacted a company called C&A Global who bought Calumet US after it had folded and they said "When the original Calumet company went bankrupt, the name and new physical stock was purchased by C&A Global. Spare and undocumented parts were abandoned or destroyed at the time of bankruptcy and were not transferred to C&A Global."

Such a shame! I guess my only hope is like you say that someone may be able to machine or sell me an old part.

Thanks,
    Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyTreacy View Post
    What's SAE?
    Short cut: SAE is not Metric, but some SAE sizes came from British Witworth and their sizes are so close that it matters not unless one is a NASA contractor, and we are not. Worry not.

In my experience with my Calumet C1 8x10 I have found some fasteners in our common USA hardware parts store.
    If you find you need parts there is an almost 100% chance we can point you to a common, economical source. Identify them and we can help. IMHO the C1is most reliable 8x10. It is difficult to schlep in the field, but is so precise it is worth it.

If you think you have found a missing part, write here. It is likely we can point your to a source.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Short cut: SAE is not Metric, but some SAE sizes came from British Witworth and their sizes are so close that it matters not unless one is a NASA contractor, and we are not. Worry not.

In my experience with my Calumet C1 8x10 I have found some fasteners in our common USA hardware parts store.
    If you find you need parts there is an almost 100% chance we can point you to a common, economical source. Identify them and we can help. IMHO the C1is most reliable 8x10. It is difficult to schlep in the field, but is so precise it is worth it.

If you think you have found a missing part, write here. It is likely we can point your to a source.
    That's great thanks for explaining. Yes I'll wait for the C-1 to arrive and then photograph the areas where parts are missing and upload them.

Thanks again.

Joel Edmondson

Sorry about the confusion with reference to SAE - Jac is right, it is not metric and I found all of the parts I ever needed in hardware stores in the US. I did indeed schlep one for well over twenty years and was never disappointed by the camera.

SAE= Society of American Engineers. English, not metric, measurements; but not quite the same as British Whitworth specs. The C-1 is only slightly more complicated than a shovel (for good reasons), so if you have any mechanical ability (and a kitchen table) you should be able to make it work just fine. The one I used at Kodak had been used hard and patched up many times. It still did a great job (although I never liked having to take it on location).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    The C-1 is only slightly more complicated than a shovel
    My favorite quote of the year! Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    SAE= Society of American Engineers. English, not metric, measurements; but not quite the same as British Whitworth specs. The C-1 is only slightly more complicated than a shovel (for good reasons), so if you have any mechanical ability (and a kitchen table) you should be able to make it work just fine. The one I used at Kodak had been used hard and patched up many times. It still did a great job (although I never liked having to take it on location).
    Great analogy and exactly the reason I went for that as my field camera choice in 10 x 8. Yes it's heavy but my style of photographic practice has me lugging lights,tripod and stands about in the field on an all terrain cart so an extra 12 or so kilograms is no big deal.

I'd much rather have a robust workhorse in the field than a work of art.

The C1 finally arrived, I've uploaded a few shots of the areas that need parts, the first area requiring attention is a kind of aluminium hinge that's missing on both sides, it means that the rail cannot be folded up behind the ground glass. I have basic tools but nothing that could machine such a thing as this.

The other part is the large focussing knob, it's one of those types with an Allen fitting in it.

If anyone out there has these parts from a C1 that they don't need please get in touch, thanks!

Regards,
    Danny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0914.jpg   IMG_0915.jpg   IMG_0916.jpg