Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remembering OLIVER GAGLIANI

Re: Remembering OLIVER GAGLIANI

Thanks, amazing work. The way he feels space, and even finds a sense of space and light in abstract subjects is very interesting.

Very nice work, indeed.

lab black

In addition to Oliver being an exceptionally talented artist, he was also a uniquely kind person.
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

Oliver always wanted to be a musician. However he lost part of his hearing in the war which made that path impossible. He found in photography many of the qualities he found in music. When he saw a Paul Strand show in San Francisco he was hooked. I got to know him through one of his workshops in Virginia City and own some of his photographs. He was a great photographer and a great human being!
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 16-Sep-2017 at 04:45.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I believe that I ran into him at Welte's tavern back in the , '80's when I lived in South San Francisco.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    If the link is representative of his work, I find the dark undertones too pervasive: Even the white piano has a skull sitting on it.

Thomas
    Viewing an image on a computer screen is not a good way to judge any part of the picture. HIghlights may be too dark , or burnt out. SHadows may be too dark or too light, and midtones only fall where the scanner puts them. The same is true of images in a book. If one wants to criticize an image,they must be judged only from an original print without glass to interfere.

The favorite group photograph of all those I have made during the last 80 years depicts my friends Oliver Gagliani, Pirkle Jones, Al Weber and Phillip Hyde. A gathering of 4 of the giants of 20th Century photography. Each worked in a different genre and were the greatest of friends.

Incredibly I had never heard of this man before. His work is haunting and memorable. Thanks to the OP for this remembrance.

A trip to NYC to see the prints may be in order.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Drew Wiley

Thanks for at least posting that. I never really knew him; and the only time I personally encountered him he looked exactly like in the video except a bit bushier in beard, perhaps because the wind was blowing. But the local photographic community nicknamed him the "Little Master" because he wasn't well known like some of his contemporaries. I didn't even know he shot color; but his forte was clearly large format black and white anyway. A lot of Bodie in that brief flick, and some of the predictable philosophical fluff that in my opinion just detracts from the prints themselves, which work better on their own, unexplained. I've never been overwhelmed by his body of work, and continue to think of him as a "minor master", but should leave it at that.

I took Oliver's workshop in Virginia City, Nevada in 1987 (or 1988). I still use his methodology for the Zone system, exposure, developing, etc. Oliver had a number of prints of his work at the workshop and I purchased several. He was just starting to experiment with color at the time, I don't believe he had any finished color prints there. I have several projection contacts from the workshop that Gudmundur took of Oliver, Rod Klucas, myself and several of the students and was nice enough to send.. It was a great learning experience and he is truly, sorely missed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OliverRodMes.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	192312
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 12-Jun-2019 at 07:15.