Quote Originally Posted by arthur berger View Post
100 years ago Oliver Gagliani was born in Placerville, California. He died 15 years ago at the age of eighty five. In my opinion he was one of the true
" Masters" of 20th century photography.
I will never forget the first time I saw his photographs at the Focus Gallery on Union Street in San Francisco in 1968. I returned a few times to study
the prints and saw Oliver himself there looking at his work. Unfortunately I was too much in awe and too timid to approach him. Fast forward 10 years
and I was taking his Virginia City Workshop.I got to know him and his work and was friendly with him for many years.
Recently my daughter moved into a new house and asked me for some of my photographs to decorate her bare walls. I framed and hung some of my
work and decided to give her one of Olivers photographs that I had recently reframed but had not yet hung in my house.
After hanging his photograph and seeing it again in a new light ,so to speak, I was so impressed with the beauty and power of his work that it rekindled my interest in the things he had taught me.
What did he teach you?