Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linhof wide angle device - what's the scoop?

Linhof wide angle device - what's the scoop?

I have a few cameras including MF and 4x5 using 47mm Super-Angulons f/8 & f/5.6.
    The 47mm XL is new to me and particularly promising.

There are focus adapters for Linhof 4x5, but I do not know what-fits-what, and how to tell the differences.
    I'd like to try one on a Super Technika V not using the rangefinder.

Any help please?

Question Re: Linhof wide angle device - what's the scoop?

What's a "focus adapter" ?
    Never heard of such.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Re: Linhof wide angle device - what's the scoop?

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    What's a "focus adapter" ?
    Never heard of such.

- Leigh
    Leigh, I have probably used the wrong term. For the Linhof it is an auxiliary lens board which is seated close to the back. It is placed on the back tracks of the rack and has its own short bellows and a dial to focus. To use it with a Technika we must drop the front bed down as far as possible.

I hope these pictures do not violate terms.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linhof-wa-device.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	169621

I do not know if it will work with a 47mm S-A XL. Another picture but for a 65mm S-A.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linhof65withBellows.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	169622

It is not beyond me to consider modifying the lock-down limiter for the bed to drop it almost 90° down.

I heard of it. Expensive, rare and necessary for short lenses.

I skipped Technika class and went Horseman.

I am back. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Leigh, I have probably used the wrong term. For the Linhof it is an auxiliary lens board which is seated close to the back. It is placed on the back tracks of the rack and has its own short bellows and a dial to focus.

I hope this picture does not violate terms here. This unfortunately is view from the film side not showing the focus knob.
    Photo from keh.com

Attachment 169620
    No, it is not a lensboard. It is a wide angle focusing adapter that takes lenses, 65mm and shorter, on special Technica 23 lens boards. Both this device and the special lens boards have been out of production for several years. To use this device it is mounted onto the 45 Technica and the front standard is left inside the body housing. Focusing is done by the knurled knob on the top front of the adapter.
    It worked with lenses down to the 55mm but I am not sure if it could focus the 45 or 47 at infinity.
    Today Linhof uses these wide lenses in special, dedicated helical focusing mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    No, it is not a lensboard. It is a wide angle focusing adapter that takes lenses, 65mm and shorter, on special Technica 23 lens boards. Both this device and the special lens boards have been out of production for several years. To use this device it is mounted onto the 45 Technica and the front standard is left inside the body housing. Focusing is done by the knurled knob on the top front of the adapter.
    It worked with lenses down to the 55mm but I am not sure if it could focus the 45 or 47 at infinity.
    Today Linhof uses these wide lenses in special, dedicated helical focusing mounts.
    Oh, Bob, lighten up. So it is not a lens board, but in effect it is, and thank you not for your frequent reminders that certain items are no longer in stock. The used market is rich without Linhof. Your frequent reminders just tell us that Linhof is dying.

So, can you answer the original question - which model will work an a Super Technika V? ...and learn up via your inexhaustible resources whether it will work with a 47mm SA XL. I have built 4x5 cameras with helix focusing. No mystery there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Oh, Bob, lighten up. So it is not a lens board, but in effect it is, and thank you not for your frequent reminders that certain items are no longer in stock. The used market is rich without Linhof. Your frequent reminders just tell us that Linhof is dying.

So, can you answer the original question - which model will work an a Super Technika V? ...and learn up via your inexhaustible resources whether it will work with a 47mm SA XL. I have built 4x5 cameras with helix focusing. No mystery there.
    No, it is not a lensboard and can not function as a lensboard. It is basically the front standard of a Technica 23.
    There were two versions. One that fit the Technica III 45 cameras and the other fit the Technica IV, V and Master Technica. The original version fir the IV and later was tan. The later version was black. So was the version that only fit the III.

No, it does not work with lenses shorter then 55mm.

Jac, I think you are better off making another dedicated camera for the 47MM...

Me using my very old Technika III with a SA 65MM is tough enough, as the standard sits deep inside the body shell, making it difficult to access the controls, but with a custom WA camera, all of the controls would be right on the deck in front of you, and something simple like screwing in a cable release does not require a plan...

You can probably make a helical out of an old 35MM or 6X_ lens or some threaded plumbing fitting, or make some device not unlike that Linhof assy... You know the rest... ;-)

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I heard of it. Expensive, rare and necessary for short lenses.

I skipped Technika class and went Horseman.

I am back. LOL
    Hi Randy!!!

Good to see you were not abducted by aliens... (Or were you!?!!!)

Hope you have gotten settled and happy again...

Keep on truckin'!!!

Steve K

One thing is certain you will not be able to use a centerfilter on the 47mm xl and the wide angle device. I had a SA xl 58mm on it which I had to modify to use a centerfilter.