Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linhof wide angle device - what's the scoop?

Re: Linhof wide angle device - what's the scoop?

Jac, its time for a stupid and perhaps insulting question. I take it that you want to use a 47/5.6 SAXL on 4x5. Per Schneider, the lens' flange-focal distance is 59.1 mm and it covers around 165 mm. I also take it that your Super Technika V is a 4x5er.

I sort of see the problem you're dealing with. Bed has to be dropped to be out of the frame, lens probably makes infinity inside the box, focusing will be a real pain.

If you can give up all movements but front rise, why not get a 4x5 Crown Graphic? Minimum extension 52.4 mm, the bed drops and the inner bed rails move and are linked to the outer rails so focusing a lens that makes infinity inside the box is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Jac, I think you are better off making another dedicated camera for the 47MM...
    You are right, Steve. I'm going to modify the body of one of the original 4x54s I've made. That one uses an earlier S-A 47mm f/5.6. All I have to do is drill a new lens board and fix the flange distance using shims. I already have a focusing helical (not the one pictured). No movements, but I don't use them often.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    [...]If you can give up all movements but front rise, why not get a 4x5 Crown Graphic? Minimum extension 52.4 mm, the bed drops and the inner bed rails move and are linked to the outer rails so focusing a lens that makes infinity inside the box is easy.
    I gave up the Linhof idea after Bob's post. Indeed, it's a stupid idea to use the Super Technika. I have a Graphic, but have yet to seriously consider it. I'll get it out for a good look today.

I have one of the Linhof WA units - it works but finding the right 2 x 3 lens board to fit it is a challenge. and twiddling the bellows adjuster with the whole thing inside the camera body while you stand behind the camera and look at the GG is not the easiest thing to do unless you have double jointed elbows and wrists. I sort of put it in the "nice try" category, and use my Crown Graphic with the coupled interior tracks.

I use a 47mm S-A XL on my Tech V with a Chinese-made lensboard and built-in helical. I'm sure there are much fancier helicals with better finish and smoother focusing mechanisms, but the helical I have works properly, seems properly aligned to the extent that I can focus with my own eyes and a loupe, and wasn't extraordinarily costly (around $150 in 2010). It even has a custom engraved focus scale, though it depends on manually focusing the standard to infinity using a loupe on the groundglass first, since there is no room for infinity stops on the inner rails of a Technika. It's not so easy to read the scale inside the box anyway, so I don't really use it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0561.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	169646

There is no need to modify the camera. Dropping the bed two stops works fine for horizontals. Depending on where the lens is, it might clip for verticals, but you can also just turn the camera 90 degrees.

The Wideangle Focusing Device is good for 55mm and 65mm lenses (or thereabouts). Lenses in the 72-75mm range can just use a recessed lensboard without the extra device.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I use a 47mm S-A XL on my Tech V with a Chinese-made lensboard and built-in helical. I'm sure there are much fancier helicals with better finish and smoother focusing mechanisms, but the helical I have works properly, seems properly aligned [...]
    Now that is interesting, David! Thank you. The helical you have appears to be the one I am using. I also have a few proper Linhof 4x5 lens boards. Still, I think I will stay with my home made super-wide 4x5 cameras. Funny, but I made the cameras decades before I could afford the Linhof ST.

By the way, the lube in that helical is some kind of silicone which is terrible in cold weather, and it will not hurt to dilute it a bit with acetone, even WD-40. Squirt a tiny bit, exercise the helical, put it aside overnight. Worked for me. But of course you live in the tropics - no need.

Thanks again, David.

Oh, I collect camera scrap and parts on the cheap. I put a different one together for the 47mm S-A. The back is a very unusual Graflex 4x5 back. I have to measure, but I think I might be able to change this mount to the XL.

I had one of those wide-angle focus devices when I used Linhof a number of years ago that I used with a 58mm Grandagon. Then after looking at the situation (Yogi Berrra said "It's amazing what you can see sometimes if you just look"), I discovered that the camera, a Master Technika, could RF focus with a 58 cam that I cut down from a 75mm blank. I made a deeply recessed lens board from a factory board. The lens was in a OO Compur so there was plenty of room. In use, with the bed dropped, it sat pretty far back on the retracted track but worked just fine and was great to use hand-held for architecture with a 20mm 35mm Russian finder. The 58 Grandagon just clipped the corners of a 4X5 negative.
    Last edited by Neal Chaves; 12-Sep-2017 at 18:04.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I use a 47mm S-A XL on my Tech V with a Chinese-made lensboard and built-in helical. I'm sure there are much fancier helicals with better finish and smoother focusing mechanisms, but the helical I have works properly, seems properly aligned to the extent that I can focus with my own eyes and a loupe, and wasn't extraordinarily costly (around $150 in 2010). It even has a custom engraved focus scale, though it depends on manually focusing the standard to infinity using a loupe on the groundglass first, since there is no room for infinity stops on the inner rails of a Technika. It's not so easy to read the scale inside the box anyway, so I don't really use it.

Great solution. Excellent for 4X5 Crown Graphics as well. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0561.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	169646

There is no need to modify the camera. Dropping the bed two stops works fine for horizontals. Depending on where the lens is, it might clip for verticals, but you can also just turn the camera 90 degrees.

The Wideangle Focusing Device is good for 55mm and 65mm lenses (or thereabouts). Lenses in the 72-75mm range can just use a recessed lensboard without the extra device.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    [...] I discovered that the camera, a Master Technika, could RF focus with a 58 cam that I cut down from a 75mm blank. [...]
    Wow! I am not smart enough to even imagine how one would properly modify a focusing cam. Any more tips for us? Is it something as simple as following an other cam as a template? IOW, linear?

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Oh, I collect camera scrap and parts on the cheap. I put a different one together for the 47mm S-A. The back is a very unusual Graflex 4x5 back. I have to measure, but I think I might be able to change this mount to the XL.
    Nice looking Veriwide adaptation! I was considering doing such a thing with spare Sinar parts, but this situation with the 47 S-A XL and the helical fell into place sooner, so the Sinar odds n ends are still in the drawer.