Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exploded diagram/Spare parts for the Calumet C-1

Re: Exploded diagram/Spare parts for the Calumet C-1

Not certain if you've seen this web page but it kinda shows how the camera folds up
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...umetc8x10.html
    For the knob unless you'll after an exact copy then any hardware store should be able to help.
    However it is likely that any setscrew fitted into the knob will be metric - but at small sizes metric and SAE/Whitworth/imperial allen keys are almost interchangeable.
    regards
    Tony

I think the parts missing is actually a pair of stainless rail guide for the front rail section, whose ends provide hinging. It should be fairly easy to make the hinging part out of thin strips of steel, although they would need to be pretty sturdy to withstand use.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c0.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	169243
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Thanks for the replies guys.

Unfortunately I don't think my skills are enough to manufacture the right parts from steel. Maybe it's something that a fabrication place could do?

The hinge must provide a degree of rigidity as it seems a bit wobbly without them.

Yes Tony I think you're right I can probably get a knob that fits from s good hardware shop.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    SAE= Society of American Engineers. English, not metric, measurements; but not quite the same as British Whitworth specs. The C-1 is only slightly more complicated than a shovel (for good reasons), so if you have any mechanical ability (and a kitchen table) you should be able to make it work just fine. The one I used at Kodak had been used hard and patched up many times. It still did a great job (although I never liked having to take it on location).
    Society of AUTOMOTIVE Engineers.

SAE (= American) are *not* generally compatible with Whitworth. The thread form is different (that's the part that only NASA would care about), but more seriously, some sizes are a completely different pitch! So while most of the pitches are the same, for example 1/2 inch bolts are 13 t.p.i. in SAE and 12 t.p.i. in Whitworth. Not sure if a C1 has any fasteners that have different pitch threads.

The SAE threadform is actually the parent threadform of the metric M system (same shape (same angles) and generally the same proportions as the M thread).

SAE thread fasteners ought to be readily available almost anywhere in the world from: auto parts stores that specialize in American cars, or boating stores that service old outboards (I think even some European stern drives might have used SAE fasteners). The boating stores would likely have pretty stainless fasteners, too!

Joel Edmondson

I replaced the hinge in mine (after it finally wore out) with a section of piano-hinge bought at a hardware store (standard item). The hole spacing was correct but I did have to cut it to fit (length).

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Edmondson View Post
    I replaced the hinge in mine (after it finally wore out) with a section of piano-hinge bought at a hardware store (standard item). The hole spacing was correct but I did have to cut it to fit (length).

Joel
    Do you have a picture of that? The C1 does not seem to have flat surfaces to mount that type of hinge.
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

+ 1 to any photos of your Diy hinge if possible.

I've found stainless steel in the correct thickness (1/32") but my problem is that once I cut it to the right size I won't have the right tools to bend the edges of the steel so that it folds around the edges of the front standard.

Do you think that if I took the camera and cut steel to a metal fabrication type place they could bend it to size?

Thanks

Joel Edmondson

Sorry folks, no photographs. That was quite a few years ago and the camera has long since been sold. I can recall cutting the hinge to width on a Bridgeport milling machine and then having to grill the countersinks for the screws.

Joel

Joel Edmondson

I'm not sure we are even referring to the same part and I can't tell from the pictures. The hinge I am referring to allowed the rear rail section to fold up to the travel position where a chromed bar attached to the camera body (underneath the strap) secured it. Maybe I am getting too old and need to keep my own counsel until I understand the problem.
    Joel

I think you are thinking of a different camera. The C1 has some small tabs on the side of the rail that lock up the rear rail. I believe he just needs some pieces of stainless that extend backwards from the front rail with some elongated holes.

Name:	810c.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	169416

Name:	c1parts8.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	169417

Name:	c1rail2.jpg