Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sinar P2 8x10 600-1200mm realistic for outdoor photography?

Re: Sinar P2 8x10 600-1200mm realistic for outdoor photography?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Leppanen View Post
    8x10 also has a very limited depth of field, especially with long lenses, which can significantly limit your choice of subjects. So with all these challenges, do you think you really need something as large as 8x10, or can you succeed with a smaller format? I got good results shooting 4x5 with Fuji 450C and 600C lenses, the Nikon 360/500/720 troika is also a worthy solution, although the 720mm configuration is reportedly a bit soft. 5x7 can also be a good compromise if you don't mind group ordering color neg film from Keith Canham or cutting down 8x10 chrome (5x7 B&W is more readily available).
    Sorry for the delay in replying just got back from a trip overseas. I will look into the 4x5 option with the lenses you mentioned.

Pere Casals, I already shoot digital and have a 70-200mm and 100-400 with extender. And a FujiGX617 with 300mm. What I'm looking for is the best way to shoot very long focal lengths. From what I've picked up from all the comments I probably need to look into the smaller formats, just after using my 6x17 I don't feel like I can get enough distance.

I'm new to the large format arena, but I'm basically trying to fine a way to get the longest distances I can get. Does anyone have some recommendations as to which format and lenses can achieve that? And is it at all possible to use large format lenses on smaller format cameras? Like the 1200mm Nikkor I mentioned on say a 4x5?

I thank you all for your amazing input!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew11 View Post

I'm new to the large format arena, but I'm basically trying to fine a way to get the longest distances I can get. Does anyone have some recommendations as to which format and lenses can achieve that? And is it at all possible to use large format lenses on smaller format cameras? Like the 1200mm Nikkor I mentioned on say a 4x5?

I thank you all for your amazing input!
    Sure, you could even use it on a 35mm camera with an adapter. Wouldn't be the easiest, but certainly doable.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew11 View Post
    I'm new to the large format arena, but I'm basically trying to fine a way to get the longest distances I can get.
    How large to you need to print ?

If you plan to make fine 8x10 inch prints, a 4x5 camera will do just fine. If you need 80x100 inch prints, then 8x10 film may make more sense, but even that can depend on viewing distance.

We can choose our equipment to get a desired result, not the other way around.

No one has mentioned the pioneer of this type of photography, Andreas Feininger. Post about him here, with a very interesting interview of him explaining what he was doing: https://nixonphoto.wordpress.com/tag/andreas-feininger/ , and at 8:04 in the video he shows the camera he used.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

I tried to find a picture of Feininger's setup but failed. It was quite something, complete with guide wires.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    If you're hell-bent on using P2 with 1200mm lens you absolutely need 2 tripods to hold the beast steady and avoid vibrations. A monopod under the lens won't do as it has no way to withstand lateral vibration from wind and the shutter.

Exactly my thinking. This increases set up time even more, to the point you won't be able to catch fast changing light. For this reason and others, I've stayed with 4x5 for this sort of thing. It's windy here on the Northern Plains, and wind is just hell to deal with using large format.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

As others have stated, since you have free access to use a Sinar P2,
    then you should experiment with that camera before you invest your own money to test a whim.

My only 8X10 camera is a Cambo Legend which, after about 5 years, I'm becoming reasonably familiar and comfortable with.
    There seems to be a lot of similarity between the Legend, and your P2, but since I've neither seen nor used a Sinar, I'll withhold comment.

I'd never think of using the Cambo on an architectural assignment. It's just too unwieldy and heavy, and no client really cares about
    how much you work, or care, to produce; it only matters what the final product is.

For work outside my home studio, I use my Linhof S.Tech. which is as superbly manipulative as my monorail, but at very little mass.

In studio, I have the option to relax with the rail camera, at my leisure, as a hobby.
    Never, though, have I produced a better contact print from my 8X10 "studio" camera than any 8X10 enlargement from any of my 4X5 cameras.

YMMV