Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticking darkslide

Sticking darkslide

I was out in Undercliffe Cemetery, Bradford, yesterday and had the darkslide stick on me twice with two different 10x8 film holders.
    I really had to give them a pretty severe tug to get them to shift and the whole process didn't help with stability etc.
    Any ideas what it could be and how to solve it? The film holders appear flat and true, i.e. not warped, and the only thing I can think of is damp as I had them loaded for around a week and kept in the basement as it's cooler down there.
    Once I had made the exposures the slides slotted back in as free and easy as you like!

For anyone interested:

“Undercliffe Cemetery is the zenith of England’s cemeteries...it is an enigmatic place and it does fill one with the awe you would expect a Victorian cemetery to fill you with.”
    Dr Julien Litton
    Leicester University

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undercliffe_Cemetery
    http://undercliffecemetery.co.uk/

Re: Sticking darkslide

Might have been the combination of a little moisture, a little dirt/grime in the channels, and a little time.

Some furniture polish on the darkslides will keep them slippery.

You might want to take a old tooth brush or something similar and clean out the channels the darkslides run in inside the holder, followed by a nice dusting.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks Vaughn, I'll give that a go when I unload the films

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Might have been the combination of a little moisture, a little dirt/grime in the channels, and a little time.

Some furniture polish on the darkslides will keep them slippery.

You might want to take a old tooth brush or something similar and clean out the channels the darkslides run in inside the holder, followed by a nice dusting.
    Piggy-backing on Vaughn's perfect advice, I have used, sparingly, Armor All to clean. Sparingly is the clue. Wipe it off and the remaining molecular layer works for us. Don't use it in the grooves. Vaughn's toothbrush is good.

Aside: I am now experimenting with something called Top Coat F11 which is amazing on computer screens and on my vehicle. Google it!

I've used beeswax to help very old dark slides work better. All natural!
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

After you've cleaned your holder(s) I can recommend a very good product for the darkslides that I use. I get it from a nearby store here in the Seattle area, but googling I see it can be had through Amazon so it may be available to UK as well although shipping may kill the deal. It's called Kleenmaster Brillianize. Here's the link to my source for additional info about its uses:
    https://www.tapplastics.com/product/...rillianize/112

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...7ojg9i7o_b_p20

I initially bought it for use on acrylic "glazing" for my framed photos. Then I recommended it to a forum member who was experiencing static electricity marks on negatives made in the colder/drier air in Death Valley and solved the problem. It makes the darkslides slicker as well. I think it's worth a try if you can handle the shipping cost.

I second the nomination of Brillianize. It reportedly was recommended years ago by John Sexton, see http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ning-Darkslide.

Developed the three exposures I made and unfortunately one appears to have suffered some light leakage. This is possibly from me struggling to get out the dark-slide as I number all my holders and I've never had the problem before. Sad really as it was my best composition of the day but I guess that's always the case
    Hopefully I will get some good light this weekend and go back to try the shot again
    As the holders are now empty I tried the furniture polish idea as it is readily available. Hopefully that will cure things.

...Sweep

Use bee's wax from your local bee keeper or (second choice) parafin from your grocery store. Gently move each of the two the long thin edges of a dark slide one time down the block of wax.

Of course, you do not want to wax the short edge of the dark slide because that comes into contact with the felt light trap so could contaminate it over time.

What about using surf board wax or snow ski wax?