Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Computerized Matte Board Cutters

Re: Computerized Matte Board Cutters

Since the OP used the phrase "for personal work" I will offer the following:

My local framing shop has a computerized mat cutter, and it is a joy to watch. However, I prefer "floating" mounts where the edges of the mat form a window for the print. Chatting with the owner, I mentioned this and he said that the computerized machine should be able to do it even better. I brought in an example, where the print was slightly off square but the mat and print edges were nonetheless parallel. The error was difficult to see, but would have been disturbing if the mat opening had been a clean rectangle. When I explained how to do it with a Dexter mat cutter, he just shook his head. Actually, I first learned the technique because I had so much trouble cutting down sheets of mat board to (sufficiently) perfect rectangles, an essential for mat cutters which measure in from the outside edges of the mat.(Of course, his computerized machine handles this effortlessly.)

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    These units look interesting.

Rich, the Esterly Speed Mat cutters appear to have been produced for many years. What would be the important things for a potential buyer to ask a seller of a used unit? And especially for buying a good working unit that could be shipped as is.

I can figure out how to make it work, if all the parts are there.

Sandy
    I bought a like new manual Speed Mat cutter off of the local Craig's list about a year ago for dirt cheap. Sent in the main arm to have it adjusted (excellent customer service I might add) and even if it is manual, it simply does a tremendous job. The adjustments are easy to deploy and the blades are easy to change. Well engineered design. Mounted it on the wall in my basement.

I have a good idea of the volume of work Sandy does and I think the Esterly system , semi auto or manual would fit the bill, since this thread started I am now re considering purchasing the semi auto unit would suit my needs for my small shop.
    I do a lot of matt cutting, fortunately I have a good framer near me that will cut windows, at a decent price but I am increasing my matting needs. At my old company I did have a Fletcher Auto Cutter we purchased for about 15 K , and it paid for itself in about a year which was great.

Also Knowing Sandy who has a lot of friends , he will find a way to cut matts for others with the unit and turn a nice profit within a year or two.

4x5 Is So Small. . . J.B. Harlin's Avatar

We pick up the smaller Esterly Speed Mat cutter several years ago off Craig's List. . . really like it. . .

Well, finally located an Esterly Speed-mat cutter, Model 3240, said to be a late model in Excellent condition, for what I consider a very reasonable price ($600), and it is on the way to me now.

Tried to find one that I could pick up locally but that did not work out so had to spend a good chunk of change on freight. But price with shipping is only about 1/4 of the cost of a new model so I am happy.

To this point I have worked with a few standard sizes and have had mats cut to size, which of course is a great luxury. But I have a lot of vintage carbon prints that are irregular in size and believe the Esterly will help me get them matted so I can do a better job of marketing them.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

The 3240 handles 8-ply mats which are luxurious, and especially appropriate for vintage prints. Anxious to hear your experiences.

I spent about hour yesterday cutting ten 16x20 mats with 9x13.5 openings with my Logan manual. You could probably do it in less than five minutes with the Esterly.
    Last edited by faberryman; 22-Sep-2017 at 16:46.

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    The 3240 handles 8-ply mats which are luxurious, and especially appropriate for vintage prints. Anxious to hear your experiences.

I spent about hour yesterday cutting ten 16x20 mats with 9x13.5 openings yesterday with my Logan manual. You could probably do it in less than five minutes with the Esterly.
    I will be sure to report my experience with the Esterly 3240. And thanks for the helpful replies to this thread that led me to go in that direction.

Although my original interest was in some type of computerized system, the fact that this system is both fast and manual could be more time efficient for the volume I anticipate.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I will be sure to report my experience with the Esterly 3240. And thanks for the helpful replies to this thread that led me to go in that direction.

Although my original interest was in some type of computerized system, the fact that this system is both fast and manual could be more time efficient for the volume I anticipate.

Sandy
    I will be interested in how the Southern Gentleman gets on with this machine.

The 32X40 Esterly Speed Mat cutter arrived today, well packed and in EX+ condition. Hardly a blemish anywhere on the unit so the previous owner obviously took good care of it. I am very impressed with the build of the unit, much sturdier than one could judge from pictures.

The unit did not come with any wall mounting equipment. I find some literature on the Esterly web site about this, would appreciate any personal experience with placement.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 27-Sep-2017 at 15:05.