Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clarence H White exhibit and book

Clarence H White exhibit and book

Coming soon:

http://yalebooks.yale.edu/book/97803...-and-his-world

A 408 page book and traveling exhibit. Can't wait for it to come to Maine next year.

If you don't know of Clarence, you may know of some of his students and collaborators... A who's who of photography a hundred years ago. I love his style, story, and subjects. I do wonder if such a big exhibit and book will bring him out of near obscurity.

Re: Clarence H White exhibit and book

He is a favorite of mine - a photographer who really knew how to teach. I can hardly wait for the book.
    Last edited by Jim Noel; 27-Aug-2017 at 13:38. Reason: spelling

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Me too!

I have always felt that White never got his due in the timeline of photography. I feel he is as important and likely more important the Stieglitz in the development of American photography. The Ford foundation monograph, The New Vision: Photography Between the World Wars : Ford Motor Company Collection at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York and the text Pictorialism into Modernism: The Clarence H. White School of Photography both wet the appetite for this position and here is an interesting paper on the subject
    http://repository.upenn.edu/cgi/view...28&context=svc
    Looking forward to a new assessment in the issues.

Thanks Jason for this heads-up! Looks like I'm up for a Maine vacation nex' summah! 'Bout time to head back to Gilbert's, anyway...

David Schaller

Thanks for the heads up JP. This looks great.

I prepurchased the book and it arrived just before Christmas. It is magnificent; comprehensive with multiple contributors and a large selection of photographs (more than the exhibit). If you are a White fan then this will be a must have book.
    I had some questions and initiated an email conversation with Anne McCauley the new "David Hunter McAlpin Professor of the History of Photography and Modern Art"
    She was wonderful in responding and sharing her wide ranging information of pictorialists. I learned that the Cleveland exhibit which is 11 months from now will be half the size due to space issues. So we hopped into the car for the 10 hour drive to see the closing day. And I am glad I did. While anything is better than nothing, if you plan to see this you should get to Davis Museum, Wellesley College (02/07/18–06/03/18) or Portland Museum of Art, Maine (06/30/18–09/16/18)
    Anne McCauley is giving the keynote speech Feb 13 at Davis.
    The exhibit shows both White's first and last photos and 4 rooms in between. There are yearbooks from his school filled with his students work, several examples of his commercial work, and a wide range showing his development over years. The curators notes beside each print are informative and insightful. The show has some insights the book does not and vice versa.
    Well recommended.

Good to hear Bill! Have you heard if the Portland or Wellesley exhibits will be any different? The Portland one is close to me, but I'm inclined to visit both since I don't want to wait 6 months. I got the book for Christmas and it's very nice.

I think that 6 or 7 prints unglazed and in original 1898 frames can not travel, but otherwise the exhibits are to be the same. Indeed, there was a single file glitch in the computer screen display of student prints, so there may be 20 prints more to be seen, when that gets addressed.

I saw Clarence White School of Photography exhibit at Addison Gallery of American Art in North Andover MA a few years back. I was working in non silver processes at the time. I walked into this exhibit and the work was stunning, some absolutely beautiful images and craftsmanship, there were gum prints of a quality like I had never seen before. Excellent Platinum prints also
    In my opinion it was a much better show than the Photo Succession exhibit at Springfield Museum of Art, Spflld, MA last year.