Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Precision bubble level

Precision bubble level

Hi all,
    I am looking for a precision bubble level as I realised my bubble levels on my manfrotto 055 legs as well as Chamonix view Camera are not quite precise.
    I was thinking at this:

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07...RLGRKCZN&psc=1

or this:

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00...PNWYJU7H&psc=1

Has anyone got experiences with either of those or suggest something else?
    If it helps I require it for both 4x5 and 8x10.
    I see the precision for these is 0,029 ° = 0,5 mm/m.

Re: Precision bubble level

Most levels built into cameras are not very precise. Why that should be the case, I have no idea.
    I use something similar to the Stabila torpedo level. It is made by Ebisu here. Ebisu makes a credit card size level that is quite good, and has the same precision.

Kumar

That's crazy, I've ordered the one from Amazon too on Saturday.

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07...RLGRKCZN&psc=1

I had a similar one from my neighbor and it worked fine with my weekend jobs on 4x5 and also in the darkroom for leveling the enlarger.

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Most levels built into cameras are not very precise. Why that should be the case, I have no idea.
    I use something similar to the Stabila torpedo level. It is made by Ebisu here. Ebisu makes a credit card size level that is quite good, and has the same precision.

Kumar
    My other hobby is grilling and barbecue. If you look at gas, charcoal and wood grills and smokers, they all have cheap dial thermometers. They say companies like Weber buy their thermometers from the cheapest suppliers. They also place the inaccurate thermometers up high where they look good and not down low where the food actually cooks. I don't worry about it with my gas grill were I cook fast. On my charcoal grill I modified it with an electronic fan which blows in oxygen when needed to control heat. It has a sensor that clips right on the grill where I place my food so I know exactly what the temperature is. I can cook at 225 degrees for hours.

I suspect camera and tripod companies have the same business practices.

Typically, most of the half decent levels from the hardware store will exceed the levels typically built into your gear... Even inexpensive units... No need to go to very high precision units, as there is some very minor error that can come from holder seating, how film sits in the holder, etc... (You will find high precision analog + digital units VERY difficult to set up your camera, as they are so sensitive to very minor changes, and really major overkill that's not needed for general photography...)

What's important is not so much with the rest of your rig, but the leveling of the camera itself...

Steve K

Isn't there an app for the iPhone (called Inclinometer I think) that you can sit on the head or parallel surface to perform the same function?

Not sure what the accuracy is like, but chances are you have one in your pocket already !

Mike

This shoe-mounted 2-axis level is made in Austria and is quite good: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ble_level.html

But I prefer to use the same Ebisu card level that Kumar recommended, because I can level off the ground glass.

Actually if you want a shoe-mounted level, this is the one to have, it beats all others:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ble_Level.html

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    Isn't there an app for the iPhone (called Inclinometer I think) that you can sit on the head or parallel surface to perform the same function?
    Yes, indeed there is. It is called Clinometer. I calibrated mine (a one-click operation) on my workbench and checked it using a laser level. Clinometer is easy to read and gives three axis measures.

Les

You can obtain a Smart Tool (digital) on Amazon too. What I like about it, that you don't even have to look at it....and when it beeps it's level to 1/10th degree (v. precise). Anyway, in my experience, it runs circles around any bubble-level I've had or seen. I've had this gidgit for over 10yrs.

Les