Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SP-445 Just Arrived

Re: SP-445 Just Arrived

What is an SP=445?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I put a couple of drops of photoflo in the tank as a last step, and dump. I clean the holders with hot water after I remove the film before putting them away.
    I have the old style holders and sometimes fail to load under the tabs perfectly and I do get the ridge marks on the back of the film when wet. You could put a previously developed sheet behind the current piece if the fluid dynamics are causing your film to slip if only developing one sheet in the holder.

The tab marks are usually within the rebate area. I think agitation method may also play a role in how far out they extend and possibly bubbles around the tabs. I have resorted to a smooth hand over hand method which seems to reduce the tab marks. Grasp bottom of tank in right hand, arc over to left hand so the top of the tank is now in your left hand and the bottom is facing up, then arc back over to place the bottom in the right hand again. Looks like a twisting 3d figure 8. As I set the holder down I give it a firm tap/landing to dislodge any bubbles. while fixing I usually just use one hand and gently invert up and down every few seconds.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    What is an SP=445?
    A 4x5 developing daylight tank developed by Stearman Press. It holds about 475-500 ml of developer and can be inverted without major leakage. It has 2 film holders which can accommodate 4 sheets of 4x5 film, or you can process a single sheet for stand/semi stand methods providing you have enough developer.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I love mine. I have a Jobo 2509 as well but I can do film as well as develop paper in the SP-445. Can't do that with the Jobo unless you have the paper drums which are not inexpensive.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

rennie

I recently returned my SP 445 to the retailer that carries it here. Had problems with scratches and areas that didn't develop or didn't clear because they were pinched by the tabs or fingers that hold he film. When I contacted Stearman about it they suggested I basically repair it using a knife. Anyway I bought a 2500 series Jobo tank on eBay. It processes 6 sheets with 270 ml of chem and turns out perfect flawless negs. I think the SP445 is a cool idea that didn't quite make the grade in production and quality control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still early days for me, but Ive just developed another sheet having experienced tab marks on the 1st one.

This time I loaded the film vertically into the holder rather than the holder been laid down horizontally.

From what I can see on the negative which is drying, No tab marks or scratches at all. Will scan it later.

At the lab, we used to put some isopropl alchohol ( a couple of drops) in an 8x10 tank that holds the flo. Cause we use it all day from basket processing sh**load of film. So last metal 8x10 had flo and the alcholol. We used it so it'll dry faster and it kept things from growing in the flo, weird I know, but there's some weird stuff in flo.

Also, we never flo any plastic reels. Now at home, I just use my 4x5 yankee tank as my washer and flo.

Designing the hold down fingers (tabs) was trickier than you'd expect. They can't be too tight or there's no flow under them; can't be too loose or the film will slip out. Film also varies in thickness and width from brand to brand. Our newest film holders have a "ridge" under the tab which helps.

Frankly, if the film comes out during agitation, you probably mis-loaded and missed a tab or are shooting really thin film.

The "finger prints" from the tabs should be outside the image area. Of course camera film holders vary a bit etc, but the marks are seldom an issue.

As for wetting agents, we've used our H20-Flow in the tanks without issue (hundreds of tankfuls!). It is not the same formula as Photo-flo but I suspect that many problems blamed on photo-flo are related to minerals in the water. I'll have to ask our chemist about it.

Here's a short video on the system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTrtU0bhArQ&t=141s

Regarding leaking, don't forget the "squeeze play": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFF1F1PLM1U&t=20s

For the record, we've shipped thousands of SP-445s all over the world. We've had TWO returned.

Quote Originally Posted by tim48v View Post
    Designing the hold down fingers (tabs) was trickier than you'd expect. They can't be too tight or there's no flow under them; can't be too loose or the film will slip out. Film also varies in thickness and width from brand to brand. Our newest film holders have a "ridge" under the tab which helps.

Frankly, if the film comes out during agitation, you probably mis-loaded and missed a tab or are shooting really thin film.

The "finger prints" from the tabs should be outside the image area. Of course camera film holders vary a bit etc, but the marks are seldom an issue.

As for wetting agents, we've used our H20-Flow in the tanks without issue (hundreds of tankfuls!). It is not the same formula as Photo-flo but I suspect that many problems blamed on photo-flo are related to minerals in the water. I'll have to ask our chemist about it.

Here's a short video on the system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTrtU0bhArQ&t=141s

Regarding leaking, don't forget the "squeeze play": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFF1F1PLM1U&t=20s

For the record, we've shipped thousands of SP-445s all over the world. We've had TWO returned.

1. I have gotten used to my new SP-445 now. The loading of film is far superior to the Mod54 I was using.
    2. The results are perfect, even with semi stand development

Ive never been able to find the 450ml marker level though, is it still part of the production

Ian,
    Here's a photo of the 450ml indicator.
    Tim

SP-445 lid details.pdf