Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Want to replace Chamonix, field camera or medium format suggestions?

Re: Want to replace Chamonix, field camera or medium format suggestions?

Hello Issy, just read the whole thread more or less, and saw your website. For this kind of people photography you are practicing I can fully imagine that the Chamonix or any 4x5 camera is working only on your nerves. For this kind of photography I would choose for 6x7 and that with the Pentax 67 mk ii.
    I just bought the Chamonix 45F-2 and I love it! But I do real stills, landscape, and abstract studio work with it. For that purpose this camera is not at all anal to me, quite the opposite, it's rather zen. One of the most important features of working with large format for me is the large screen through which I can study elaborately what the lens does with a scene and during this process I get the inspiration to build images in more and other ways than I had in mind at the start. That is totally different from portraits of people in action, which is so interactive that your camera has to be fast.

Looking at your photography, which is very nice by the way, I would think a rangefinder camera would suit your style. You have had the Mamiya, I was wondering if you ever went smaller rather than bigger, something like a Leica (digital or film) or a Voigtlander (Cosina) for film. All the best, John

The Bessa and Contax rangefinders also have a lot of followers. And I'm sure the are websites out there that cover all of the amazing Fuji 120 rangefinders -- some with interchangeable lenses, as I recall.

Imagowan

Thank you all. Especially John and and Otto. John do you have any specific camera recommendations? Any thoughts Otto? I wish there was a way to try out some of these camera prior to purchase.

Imagowan

Hi EH,

Thank you for your feedback. This seems like you are on the right track. I believe I have that hugggggge fuji you speak of- medium format with bellows. It is huge and so not useful in the slightest (perhaps I am not thinking of the right thing though). For fun- what three cameras (model etc) specifically would you suggest I research and look further into. I enjoyed shooting with the yashica twin reflex but don't like the square ratio. With the Mamiya 7 I found I could never get very close and the paralax was tough. Thank you so much for all of your feedback.

Imagowan

Hi Songyun,

I think we did meet!! Would love to hear about your non folder! And any other helpful information you may have. Thank you!!

Imagowan

Also I am still curious in the graphics and that camera my friend originally had that I posted about. This is tough stuff.

Imagowan

Looking on ebay but it gets a bit confusing with so many types

Imagowan

Wish I could try out the Pentax 67II - as it is a real investment. Same as to some of the other cameras mentioned. I wish there was a resource like that.

Imagowan

Hi Jeff, do you mind posting a link to which you are looking at- is that a specific model I can look into. Thank you!