Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Want to replace Chamonix, field camera or medium format suggestions?

Imagowan

Re: Want to replace Chamonix, field camera or medium format suggestions?

Update:

This weekend I rented a Linhof Technikardan 45s 4x5. I learned something- My chamonix by comparison is nothing in terms of complexity (I also just realized I have the f2, previously I thought the N2, although I don't know why). So this lead me to take out my Chamonix. I bought a Harrison pup tent recently and for the first time in over a year I loaded 4x5 film. Not as hard as I remember with the tent. I think the f2 has a few more movements than the N2, which is perhaps part of why to me it feels/felt complicated. But after staring at the Linhof- which was gorgeous, but so so soso sooo not for me- I realized wow, my Chamonix actually isn't too intimidating. Maybe the problem is me- my wanting results and being impatient. I am excited to try and shoot with it again. At least this will inform what I do or don't want. Before I was just recalling my fear around the camera. Let see what happens... Also, a very kind acquaintance was kind enough to allow me to borrow his Mamiya 7II, which I feel very grateful to have the opportunity to try out. While he is not a photographer, he is enough of an enthusiast and hobbyist to have four lenses WOWZA. I am trying to under my relationship to these lenses in terms of what I like and what sort of images I make. I am going to let myself to screw up- to make images, even if bad simply because. I am looking forward to this. My hope is I learn something about my process moving forward as well as my relationship to what I want to shoot and how I want to accomplish it. Any ideas please keep posting and I will continue to update. thanks guys!

Imagowan

What auction sites would you recommend. Thank you in advance (assuming something other than ebay?)

Imagowan

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    Issy, I think we have met in Adorama. Have you thought about a non-folder? Ever since I got my Chamonix 45-H1, I have put F1 in the storage. It is a bit bulky though. Do you still live in NYC? If so, I can show you my non-folder.
    What are your thoughts on the h1?

Quote Originally Posted by Imagowan View Post
    What are your thoughts on the h1?
    H1 has become my go-to camera, F1 is my backup now. The only thing that I miss is the focus knob on F1, which only require one hand operation. It is slightly bulky than F1, but I put a 150 or 90nikon swim the camera all the time, so I can pull out and shoot quickly. I will drop you an email and give you my number, drop me a message when you are in NYC.