Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arca-Swiss Misura 8x10

Arca-Swiss Misura 8x10

Does anybody have any information on this rare animal?
    It seems to have disappeared as soon as AS introduced it.
    B&H lists it as special order, but that could mean anything.

Looking at construction and design, it would seem to be a good choice for wide-to-moderate lens shooters looking for a compact 8x10.
    Must have deep pockets as well, naturally.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any insights from users, past owners, dreamers, sellers and the like.
    I think it looks like a pretty groovy 8x10 and would like to know more about it, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2edc9fd8de70e7ee043402c174af4977.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	168464

Name:	31843a9c5ef045c53f371caa5f9de331--swiss.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	168465

Name:	4730679838_f5731a1b38_b.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	168466

umop episdn

Re: Arca-Swiss Misura 8x10

Ari, I have and use one of these. Send me a PM and I'd be glad to help if I can with your questions.

Arca-Swiss Misura 8x10
    Does anybody have any information ..

Hi!

I visited Arca Swiss International last month (July 13th, 2017) and the 8x10 misura was available to anybody who wanted to place an order!
    I do not own one, but I know the model quite well, having manipulated it many times and discussed about this camera with the Vogt family.

Merci, Laurent.
    I've since been told that the 8x10 Misura is still available, but is less popular in North America, so it's less visible here.

Reading more, I'm not sure I can live without rear tilt; it's quite handy for any urban/architectural/industrial photography.

Is there a consensus on using the Misura but living without rear tilt?

You could use the tripod to tilt the whole camera... then adjust the front tilt.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    You could use the tripod to tilt the whole camera... then adjust the front tilt.
    If I understand what you guys have been saying these last few months, dsphotog's recommendation wouldn't work to keep buildings square since the back would be tilted up or down.
    To keep a building level on the ground glass, the camera back would have to be level and square to the subject, and then front rise would be needed.
    I've only owned one LF camera thus far, it has full movements front and back, but I've never needed rear tilt even though it was available. Maybe that helps.
    JLR

That's what I was wondering. Even if one didn't have rear swing, it would be possible to duplicate the same effect by rotating the camera a bit and adjusting with front swing and maybe some shift.

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies so far.
    I've been talking to konakoa who's been uncommonly generous in sharing his experience with both F-line cameras and the Misura. Here's what I've gleaned:
    The Misura's standards sit lower to the rail, offering a little more stability, and a little less top-heaviness.
    The front standard of the Misura has many times more front rise than an unmodified F-line front standard; I suppose this was done to offset the lack of rear tilt.
    The modularity of the A-S system permits using longer rails on the Misura when needed; I use a 300mm lens at 1.5x extension for close-ups, and the Misura is probably stretched to its limits for that type of work.

Rear movements are quite useful. For the specific example of the building in Johnny LaRue's post, the whole camera is tilted up, the back is tilted forward to be parallel to the building, and then the lens is also tilted to be parallel to the back. A little more rise can be achieved this way, provided the bellows allows it.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Rear movements are quite useful. For the specific example of the building in Johnny LaRue's post, the whole camera is tilted up, the back is tilted forward to be parallel to the building, and then the lens is also tilted to be parallel to the back. A little more rise can be achieved this way, provided the bellows allows it.

Kumar
    Hi Kumar,
    You're describing indirect rise, if I'm not mistaken. I've had to use it quite a few times when I wasn't able to secure a higher vantage point, or I ran out of front rise.
    This is what I'm struggling with, the non-possibility of doing these movements I've become used to doing.
    I'm going to give it a try with my Toyo monorail: no rear movements except 2-3 cm of rise, and see how limiting it is to frame a building correctly.

Another thing I was told: the Misura has rear rise, the F-line does not.
    So in addition to generous front rise, the extra rear rise on the Misura is another way of compensating for the lack of rear tilt.
    Furthermore, rigidity is slightly better on the Misura vs F-line because of a lack of rear movements.