Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Fixed focus 4x5 camera

Re: Fixed focus 4x5 camera

Quote Originally Posted by Degroto View Post
    Hi,

Recently I picked up a sinar camera with a bunch of lenses. Including a sinaron F5,6 65mm lens. Now I want to try a simple fixed focus camera with this lens. My reasoning that the DoF will be big enough to do without a focusing system. Is my thinking correct?

Peter
    Just google DOF Calculator, select film type, f, L, D, and see hyperfocal distance

you can also download an app for the phone...

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    If you mean something like the Mamiya Press (don't remember which version) then I'm not very fond of it. Completely unusable without a tripod.
    Yes, but not necessarily, as my Linhof Tek III has them and I can "trim" the focus when the 65mm is in the body shell, and lock down for a "hyperfocal" setting, but the same idea with threaded knobs (with springs pushing outward)... The knobs can be all set with the same amount of rotation, or a cog belt around all of the knobs/nuts to move them evenly, but in practice giving them all the same rotation should suffice (like 4 volume control knobs all set the same)...

This does not have to be rocket science, but can be something that can be built on a kitchen table if necessary... A good design is the first part...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Just google DOF Calculator, select film type, f, L, D, and see hyperfocal distance

you can also download an app for the phone...
    If you do that and select 4x5 film and a 65mm at f/16 then if you focus at 2.7 meters, everything from 1.3m to infinity is about just as sharp. Close enough to a point-and-shoot to me. Even at f/8 it would be usable.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat
    This does not have to be rocket science, but can be something that can be built on a kitchen table if necessary... A good design is the first part...
    Yep, better spend twice as long designing then 4 times as long debugging.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post

Yep, better spend twice as long designing then 4 times as long debugging.
    Fine, do what you want, but maybe it was just easier to buy a cheap helical... :-(

Just trying to help...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by animaux View Post
    Here’s my take on the idea. A cardboard tube between two coupling frames. I’m still trying to get a Norma aux standard for the back too. It is really light and a joy to handle.

Attachment 174255
    Interesting. You could have various spacers for specific 'bellows' extensions. Is what is already close to the lens board?
    ... what are you using for a tripod mount?

BTW - Graflex made aluminum extensions for some of their cameras, the XL I think,

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Fine, do what you want, but maybe it was just easier to buy a cheap helical... :-(
    OMG! Something like a function with one parameter. Nah. Too simple. Too perfect.

I just built this one »spacer« specifically for the 75mm focussed at infinity. The writing on top states the hyperfocal distances for the snadard aperture numbers:

ƒ5,6 —> 6.1m
    ƒ8 —> 4.9m
    etc.

I have yet to attach a tripod mount. Still not sure where to attach it. I’ve only just used it lying down on some wall or what else I could find.

I have my forst version ready and turned it into a pinhole. My woodworking skills reaqlly suck! :-) Now busy with the second version. I think I will use one old filmholder to create a sort of groundglass holder so I can determin the correct distance of the lens to the film plane.
    Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    http://www.new55project.com

Quote Originally Posted by Degroto View Post
    I have my forst version ready and turned it into a pinhole. My woodworking skills reaqlly suck! :-) Now busy with the second version. I think I will use one old filmholder to create a sort of groundglass holder so I can determin the correct distance of the lens to the film plane.
    Your woodworking does not have to get in the way... Using paper products (matboard, cardboard, boxes, tins, etc) that can be cut easily anywhere with sharp knives etc, work too...

With a camera back (with GG), box, lightproof tape, etc you could build one in the jungle, or anywhere else, so don't make it too hard to find a solution...

You can do it!!!

Steve K

I have decided on the focal distance. I think it is pretty good but I want to be sure. So a photo and a 100% crop. Is it good or can it be better?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fixed focus cam 03.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	176549

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fixed focus cam 04.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	176550
    Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    http://www.new55project.com