Thread: 10 inch commercial Ektar

10 inch commercial Ektar

This lens gets little love for 8x10, but what about as a portrait lens for 4x5? The coverage should be plenty and the focal length is right.... can't find anyone talking about this application for this lens.

Re: 10 inch commercial Ektar

Quote Originally Posted by evanbaines View Post
    This lens gets little love for 8x10, but what about as a portrait lens for 4x5? The coverage should be plenty and the focal length is right.... can't find anyone talking about this application for this lens.

Only you can decide what's an ideal portrait focal length for you.

To me 10" for 4x5 it is too long for half length portraits, but (also to me) it can be suitable for head or head+shoulders.

Karsh used commercial 14" a lot for 8x10, so we can say this is a reference for a kind of protraiture. Also Avedon used 14" for 8x10 a lot...

The suitable lens may depend on the suject to camera distance you want (perspective), the framming (head shot vs half body) and particular DOF (Max aperture) and bokeh nature (aero ektar vs sweet bokeh), also sharp vs soft portrait lenses.

IMHO it is not the gear, but the photographer. Even a WWII Bomber lens like the 178mm Aero Ektar has seen extensive and successful use for portraiture, and this is not a soft portrait lens, with no sweet bokeh.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I use a 12-inch for 4x5 head and shoulders. Gives a good amount of working room so nobody feels crowded. I love the "look" of the CE's and keep thinking of getting a 10-inch too.

Evan, the 10" Ektar should do very well for portraits on 4x5. They are fine lenses. They are most often seen mounted in an Ilex #4 shutter, so might be a little heavy/bulky to fit comfortably on a feather-weight field camera. However, that shutter can be made to fit onto a Technika-type board (I had it done once, a long time ago.)

My favorite for 5x7.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I, cough-cough,happen to know that there is a nice 10 inch Commercial Ektar for sale elsewhere on the forum.

Moderators, if this post isn't permitted please remove it and I will feel properly chastised.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

I like mine as a 4X5 still life C/U lens when getting up close and personal with subject details... Allows massive movements, and falls OOF nicely... Creates interesting focus planes (stop it all the way down or use wide open)... Fairly bright on the GG also...

Steve K