Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 135mm or 150mm (4x5) for a first time LF shooter?

Re: 135mm or 150mm (4x5) for a first time LF shooter?

Quote Originally Posted by m00dawg View Post
    ...LF might be making a comeback along with the rest of film? Would have to rise pretty high to make Fuji and Nikon start doing even small lens runs...
    Not only would LF film sales have to rise pretty high (extraordinarily unlikely), but Fuji and Nikon would have to find a source for shutters. Copal quit making them. Standard mechanical shutters, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    That is very helpful information and should be FAQ.

I might be missing something due lack of experience, but the only lens I have that will fold into a Super Technika V is the 135mm Planar without lens cap. Am I missing something with, say, the right 150mm? Thank you for considering my question, Bob.
    A 150 Apo Sironar S easily closes on the camera as long as it is mounted in the correct 001015 recessed lensboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    A 150 Apo Sironar S easily closes on the camera as long as it is mounted in the correct 001015 recessed lensboard.
    Oh, great! A $605.00 lens board. Who prices these things, Martians? Government contractors?
    The description says the board is for wide-angle lenses. Since when was a 150mm for 4x5" wide?

Maybe one of my boards for 135mm will work. Hey, am I sitting on a gold mine?

$605.00 is insane.

Oh, great! a $605.00 lens board. Nuff said. Who prices these things, martians?
    If you don't want the convenience of being able to set all shutter controls and aperture settings on the face of the recessed Comfort board you can always buy an older version used without the advantages and ease of the current version.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    If you don't want the convenience of being able to set all shutter controls and aperture settings on the face of the recessed Comfort board you can always buy an older version used without the advantages and ease of the current version.
    Comfort and ease at $605.00 I can do without. I have a bucket full of Linhof brand recessed boards. WTF is with Linhof prices? Desperation of a dying brand, I think. Insane.

Be glad you are retired.

My question remains: What 150mm lens will allow me to close a Super Technika V? And is there is a cam to be made to work with it?

Maybe a Fujinar-W in #0 Seiko shutter?

Jac,

I was curious so I checked and was surprised to find that my APO Symmar did not close inside of my Technika. I assumed it would've, but I had not tried. 150mm lenses I have that do fit inside would be my G-Claron, Zeiss Tessar and APO Lanthar. I think the restriction is the size of the front element. The APO Symmar has a 58mm filter thread and seems to just be a tad too big to fit in between the rails - so anything with a smaller front filter thread may fit.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Jac,

I was curious so I checked and was surprised to find that my APO Symmar did not close inside of my Technika. I assumed it would've, but I had not tried. 150mm lenses I have that do fit inside would be my G-Claron, Zeiss Tessar and APO Lanthar. I think the restriction is the size of the front element. The APO Symmar has a 58mm filter thread and seems to just be a tad too big to fit in between the rails - so anything with a smaller front filter thread may fit.
    Is it on the recessed board?

Oh, great! A $605.00 lens board. Who prices these things, Martians? Government contractors?
    The description says the board is for wide-angle lenses. Since when was a 150mm for 4x5" wide?

Maybe one of my boards for 135mm will work. Hey, am I sitting on a gold mine?

$605.00 is insane.
    Goverment contractors might be involved... no martian can compete with Goverment contractors.

Anyway this is not a bare board, but a refined kit, so price not that rare for a top quality brand:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linhof_001015-kit-500x500.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	168061

German material is usually intended to last for ever, price is usually excessive, but they didn't invent the "Planned obsolescence".

Comfort and ease at $605.00 I can do without. I have a bucket full of Linhof brand recessed boards. WTF is with Linhof prices? Desperation of a dying brand, I think. Insane.

Be glad you are retired.

My question remains: What 150mm lens will allow me to close a Super Technika V? And is there is a cam to be made to work with it?
    Cheer up, Jac,

Think of how much some minor replacement parts are for cars??? (I have replaced parts that I could have paid for a Biogon or Summicron, but with the grease and grime on them...)

Like the old saying/ If you have to ask how much, you probably can't afford it... But for most of us, cost IS an object, an obstacle as high as a great wall!!!

But don't worry, there are workarounds... We just have to get smarter/better, and ain't no stopping us from getting our shots!!! ;-)

Steve K