Thread: Tachihara tune-up and use questions

Tachihara tune-up and use questions

I am now the owner of a used 4x5 Tachiara, my first field camera, which is very exciting. In general it’s in fine shape but it shows a few signs of carelessness from some previous owner (not the fine gentleman from whom I purchased it). Everything works, but I have a few questions regarding adjustments to be made. I don’t have a close-up lens handy, so I’ll try to explain adequately without photos. Since the camera is no longer made, I don’t know what parts might be available or from whom.
    1. On one side, the brass “toggle” cam friction lock that locks down the lens extension goes nearly all the way down before locking and just barely locks. The other side locks fine with the toggle at about 45 degrees. The mechanism is simple but I can’t see what’s under the rail. Is there a way to shore up the worn one without a custom-made part? Something I can do myself, perhaps?
    2. The clasp to hold the camera closed has been removed. I see two tiny holes in the rear standard top, not square with the piece, but no hole in the base into which a stud for the hook-type clasp would have been screwed. Was this perhaps the older, wide version that clamped over the base? What may be a good source for a replacement part, or would this be a custom fabrication?
    3. The focusing grows tighter as the bellows is racked out, and both the front and back swings, due to evident forcing while locked at some point (the metal shows marks) are not smooth on the one side. Would a silicone lubricant be the right kind to apply to ease these, or should I just leave well enough alone?
    4. There is a tiny screw by itself in the base bottom near the front, off-center. What is its purpose?
    5. Finally, it’s not clear to me how to read the ruler on each side of the base, since it measures the direction opposite that I would expect for indicting bellows extension.

Thanks in advance.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Re: Tachiara tune-up and use questions

Ulophot;1400359]I am now the owner of a used 4x5 Tachiara, my first field camera, which is very exciting. In general it’s in fine shape but it shows a few signs of carelessness from some previous owner (not the fine gentleman from whom I purchased it). Everything works, but I have a few questions regarding adjustments to be made. I don’t have a close-up lens handy, so I’ll try to explain adequately without photos. Since the camera is no longer made, I don’t know what parts might be available or from whom.
    Tachiharas are relatively easy to work on. You just need some good screw drivers and a way of keeping track of which part goes where for re-assembly. Cherrywood is hard but the many small wood screws should not be over-tightened.
    1. On one side, the brass “toggle” cam friction lock that locks down the lens extension goes nearly all the way down before locking and just barely locks. The other side locks fine with the toggle at about 45 degrees. The mechanism is simple but I can’t see what’s under the rail. Is there a way to shore up the worn one without a custom-made part? Something I can do myself, perhaps?
    The toggle cam assemblies can be shimmed on the under side of the plates that they are designed to pull together. Taking out the tiny cross-head screws and removing the cam levers makes getting (thin!) shims in place easier.
    2. The clasp to hold the camera closed has been removed. I see two tiny holes in the rear standard top, not square with the piece, but no hole in the base into which a stud for the hook-type clasp would have been screwed. Was this perhaps the older, wide version that clamped over the base? What may be a good source for a replacement part, or would this be a custom fabrication?
    The two tiny holes are where screws went to hold a plate into which the camera closing hook was mounted. The camera can be used without this hook. Just tighten the back tilt knobs a bit extra when the camera is folded up.
    3. The focusing grows tighter as the bellows is racked out, and both the front and back swings, due to evident forcing while locked at some point (the metal shows marks) are not smooth on the one side. Would a silicone lubricant be the right kind to apply to ease these, or should I just leave well enough alone?
    Make sure that the focus lock knob on the left side is not turning itself closed as you advance the front standard with the right hand knob. Rough swings don't matter much unless the front and rear standard supporting plates are bent. This would indicate the camera may have been dropped at some stage.
    4. There is a tiny screw by itself in the base bottom near the front, off-center. What is its purpose?
    The tiny screw is where the missing camera closing hook would have engaged.
    5. Finally, it’s not clear to me how to read the ruler on each side of the base, since it measures the direction opposite that I would expect for indicting bellows extension. Thanks in advance.
    I've been using Tachiharas for thirty years and have never figured out these (useless?) scales. Good luck with the camera fix.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

[/QUOTE]I've been using Tachiharas for thirty years and have never figured out these (useless?) scales. Good luck with the camera fix.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's comforting! Thanks for your advice. I'll proceed. Hopefully, I'll have something decent to share by year's end.

Best wishes in your work, which I view with great admiration.

Philip
    Philip Ulanowsky

www.imagesinsilver.art

A closer look now revealed that the unlocking side's shim, between the toggle and the top of the base, is missing. I thought I'd have to go under the rail, but this should be pretty straight forward.
    Philip Ulanowsky

www.imagesinsilver.art