Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mariposa Alert!

Mariposa Alert!

Big fire!

The historic town of Mariposa has been evacuated. Hwy140 into Yosemite reported closed as well as a portion of Hwy 49. The power lines that supply electricity to Yosemite are in the path of the fire (last I heard) which could make issues for tourists.

If you're on your way to Yosemite or the Gold Country this week I suggest checking conditions before leaving and have a Plan "B"
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Mariposa Alert!

A map---
    http://google.org/crisismap/google.c...-detwiler-fire

FWIW the air is really bad here in Fresno---ash on cars parked outside---unhealthy we're warned.
    I'd guess the air in Yosemite valley might be far worse. Check before you go.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Preston Birdwell

From our local news in Tuolumne County as of 0700, 7/19: "The incident management team overseeing*the Detwiler Fire reports that the blaze is now 45,724 acres and seven-percent contained."

We have a lot of smoke here in Columbia/ Sonora area this morning. If we get a NW breeze, this will push the smoke SE, which will certainly affect Yosemite and the Sierra.

Be safe out there, everyone!
    --P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Drew Wiley

There are two fires around there now. The main one could easily become far bigger. So far, it's in lower hill country brush containing lots of creosote which burns like crazy. If it jumps uphill into all those dead pines, it will really explode. A lot of smoke is no doubt siphoning upcanyon into Yosemite. My only family member in that area is about fifteen miles south of the fire, but has been very concerned about how, when new transmission lines were put through, they never bothered to come back and remove their brush piles.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Coulterville and Greely Hill added to the evacuation order: http://abc30.com/news/evacuation-ord...-fire/2229350/

There are a couple of 8x10 shots for alternative printing that I need to take and yesterday I was on the park's website and saw the smoke alert but I couldn't find any information where it was coming from even though I googled. From today's webcams it appears that the smoke is heavily impacting the west side of the park (up to El Cap) but little impact so far on the eastern side.

Thomas

Drew Wiley

The smoke seems awful. My nephew & family just headed for vacation to San Diego to get away from the smoke, after checking with the Forest Service. The fire is headed the other direction. If it's near Coulterville, it's jumped the river. Sure glad I got my dream hike on the Lyell Fork Upper Merced last yr. The other fire is lower Cherry Cr area, which will smoke impact northern Yos and Emigrant.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

What route did you take Drew: up the Merced; over Vogelsang and then up Lyell Fork? Did you do a loop e.g., over the pass by Electra peak or something else?

Thomas

Drew Wiley

I went from Granite Cr over Post Peak Pass, dropped into the upper gorge. Just recently printed a couple of color shots. Didn't see anyone else for a week (two wk trip). Then a nice cross-country loop around Harriet bench. Again, nobody. Almost no evidence of humans except obsidian chips. Lots of fresh bighorn sign. Trying to get in shape for a visit to TunemahBasin in Sept. At my age, that will be a long slog. But as always, I'll have a Plan B&C due to fire issues. Still amazes me - 30,000 people in Yos Valley at the same time I had a place even more scenic all to myself (and the person hiking with me), on the very same stream. That kind of experience has happened five years in a row now.

Drew Wiley

Well, the smoke is over the top. Lots of it. The previous Coulterville fire a couple summer's ago, I could see and smell smoke halfway across Nevada. You'd have to get well south of Mono Basin on the East Side I imagine. Do what I did - go to the Ruby Mtns in Nevada. They're gorgeous and uncrowded.

Dave Karp

Hey Drew! Thanks for the additional updates. Good to see you posting. You have not seen Randy Moe anywhere lately, have you? Miss him too.