Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lenses for Custer Battlefield

Foamer

Lenses for Custer Battlefield

My wife has decided that this year's summer vacation will be to go out and check on our 20 yr. old son in Redmond, WA. He got a job programming some game called "Minecraft" and I moved him out there a month ago. Anyway, the trip involves driving across SD, WY, MT, ID, WA, OR, UT, NE. An epic road trip! The only northwestern state we're missing is North Dakota. The fact we're driving and there's only two of us means I can bring a lot of crap along! So, I'm taking my Chamonix 045n, a bag full of holders loaded with FP4 & Efke 25, and a few lenses. I've been reading up on Stanley Morrow and FJ Haynes (bought several books about them,) and they are my heroes! They were Dakota photographers who, like me, just liked to roam around the Northern Plains taking photos. I really like their photos and have a nice collection of their original stereoviews. So, on this trip I'm going to shoot in some the same places--Custer Battlefield, Multnomah Falls, Missoula, etc. I'm trying to figure out what lenses they used. I think FJ Haynes used rapid rectilinears for most of his work, usually shooting on a 5x8 Scovill stereo set up. There is a museum in Montana that has his camera gear. I'd like to go see it but I can't figure out which museum it is. Have not found any reference to lenses used by Morrow, but I'm going to assume he mostly used RR lenses too. He took photos of the Custer Battlefield in 1879.

I only have one RR lens suitable for 4x5, a 90mm E&HT Anthony with wheel stop, mounted in Copal 1. I thought I'd also bring an 1851 CC Harrison Petzval 5 inch as it can be used on the 4x5 and also has a Nikon F mount for use on my Nikon D800E. I might also take my 1858 Derogy Petzval 6 inch. The Petzvals give a very nice rendering and can be converted to landscape doublets. I wish I had something a little closer to what Haynes & Morrow would have used, such as a rectilinear with a slot, but haven't yet got around to buying something like that. I also have a 10 stop ND so I can shoot the Petzvals without a shutter. Not sure if I'm going to get any good shots, but I think I'll have fun trying! My wife doesn't have a very positive attitude towards the 4x5, historic lenses, and b&w film. She just rolls her eyes while I'm trying to compose and focus, and keeps asking if I'm also going to take the shot with my "real" camera. I'm thinking that with some thought, I do have a chance to make some pretty compelling photos though!

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: Lenses for Custer Battlefield

Sounds like fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I don't know if you were planning on traveling I-90 or I-94. For the former, there's lots in the Black Hills area, and for the latter, I'd recommend Teddy Roosevelt Pational Park. It is just north of I-94 and not crowded like other National Parks. It has a South and a North section with lots of Great Plains vistas and badlands. The big pits you'll see everywhere are from the bison rolling their backs on the grass to get the fleas and ticks off -- bring repellant unless you prefer to roll on the ground! As to the Custer site, when I went there it didn't look much like it did 100+ years ago. Normal and wide-angle lenses would probably be all you will need.

Camera Hacker

If you have time, take a day to see Badlands National Park. It's amazing. Just south of it is another solemn and seldomly visited site at Wounded Knee.

Phil Forrest

Foamer

I've actually been living in South Dakota for the past quarter century and know it well. (My hobby is "roaming.") Badlands NP is just a three hour drive from me. Have also extensively traveled North Dakota. I still come across things I haven't seen before. Now back to lenses. My E&HT Anthony is about 90mm/4 in. FL. It has rotary stop. I measured the largest hole and it's about 9mm, so it's about f10? Am I correct in assuming that each hole (aperture) lets in half the light as the next size larger? If so, the five holes represent f11, 16, 22, 32, 45--correct?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

I'm with your wife.
    Going to Wounded Knee would be wonderful, but the Park Service seems to have intentionally made it very inconvenient.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    My E&HT Anthony is about 90mm/4 in. FL. It has rotary stop. I measured the largest hole and it's about 9mm, so it's about f10? Am I correct in assuming that each hole (aperture) lets in half the light as the next size larger? If so, the five holes represent f11, 16, 22, 32, 45--correct?
    Kent in SD
    You are correct as to the largest Waterhouse stop (f10/11), and you are probably correct about the others. You could measure the third hole, and if it is half the diameter of the widest hole (4.5mm), it is f22, and confirms you suspicion.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    You are correct as to the largest Waterhouse stop (f10/11), and you are probably correct about the others. You could measure the third hole, and if it is half the diameter of the widest hole (4.5mm), it is f22, and confirms you suspicion.

My calipers measure largest hole at 9.8mm, and the third largest at 4.8mm. Close enough, I think.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

The Custer Battlefield will be more meaningful if you study up on it first. I have about 30 books on the battle, and they leave me with more questions than answers.

Camera Hacker

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I'm with your wife.
    Going to Wounded Knee would be wonderful, but the Park Service seems to have intentionally made it very inconvenient.
    The Park service didn't make getting to Wounded Knee difficult as much as it is a sacred site on the Oglalla Sioux reservation which is rather remote. I worked on the res back in November, 2012 and had the opportunity to visit the site a few times as well as talk with some of the locals. Being there and working with the Sioux was a very humbling experience. The evening light had a gorgeous pink hue which was different than most "magic hour" I've seen.

Phil Forrest