Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Building the "Sinar Norma Handy" camera!

Re: Building the "Sinar Norma Handy" camera!

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    I find the Mamiya 7 43mm viewfinder a good match, plus it has a bubble level built-in. You can find them for $100-ish, depending on when/where you look. -Ed

Thanks for that Ed! No finders on the radar as of yet, but sure does look awesome.

Mamiya 7 43mm finder by Nokton48, on Flickr

Mamiya 7 43mm Optical Viewfinder 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I've had an used a lot of finders, the ones for the Mamiya 7 are as nice as they get, really, especially for really wide angles. It has easily adjustable diopter, plus the built-in bubble level helps too. The framelines show a region for close-up use as well. I actually have 2 of these, one for my mamiya 7 and the other for the Cambo Wide.

This is interesting. I have been looking for something new to play with maybe this can be my new walkaround camera.

Hi Ed,

I've been looking for the Mamiya 7 43mm Viewfinder, and today I finally got one.
    Not cheap, though at $250. I just noticed it is missing the rubber eyecup.
    I can deal with that, I am sure. This is NOT an easy to find item.

Mamiya 43mm Viewfinder #1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Mamiya 43mm Viewfinder #2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I may need to mount this on a spacing block, as I am seeing in the "modern" Sinar Handy. Ground glass to viewfinder comparison will tell me what to do.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 28-Oct-2017 at 11:54.

― Mark Twain

OK So my shoe (luckily) is centered L-R in regards to the lens (a good thing). So if I have this right, the viewfinder center to lens center, (the viewfinder height) is the other most critical design element. Field size of course depends what type of holder I happen to be using. Mainly I will use this camera with 4x5 sheet film, although I might try some 70mm just for an experiment and to test backs I am guessing I will need to raise the finder up a bit, (a machined aluminum block would do it), although the Cambo Wide does not seem to have this. And I think it is 65mm on 4x5 as well.

Not many finders are as wide as the 43mm Mamiya. I had a Voigtlander 15mm Voigtlander finder but it was not a good experience for me; too much barrel distortion. Too bad for me the Linhof finders only go to 75mm; I would consider modifying one.

This is going to be fun to have for occasional use. It also fills in this part of my Norma system.

― Mark Twain

The Linhof Technar is not all that different from what I am building. But it appears to be panoramic format.

Linhof Technar by Nokton48, on FlickrYashica SLR Viewfinder on Sinar Handy by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 29-Oct-2017 at 11:52.

― Mark Twain

I might try some 70mm just for an experiment and to test backs I am guessing I will need to raise the finder up a bit, (a machined aluminum block would do it), although the Cambo Wide does not seem to have this.
    Some external viewfinders tilt down-forward to accommodate closer focusing. Regarding the machined block, there are adequate plastic flash shoe extenders. To use smaller films, such as 2.25"x* a little masking tape over the finder does a good job.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adjustable-shoe-mounts.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	171332

Keep it simple & cost effective for early prototypes.

Here is a 4x5 with 47mm S/A, universal back and simple viewfinder riser.

That is all excellent advice. Thanks.

And by the way, beautiful WA camera you have there!

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    That is all excellent advice. Thanks.

And by the way, beautiful WA camera you have there!
    You are welcome. BTW I am trying to modify a Sinar Alpina to a 47mm XL. I got a spare, shortened rail and am trying to make a real short bellows substitute. I'll be watching your progress as I struggle.

Many years ago built a very similar camera for 6x9 roll film back using an Arca Swiss back and carved on milling machine frame from a block of aluminum and Schneider 47mm super angulon and Schneider focus mount for the 47mm SA. Worked really well.

View finder used was a 50mm mamiya press viewfinder, like this one:
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6f/ce...15e0c91091.jpg

If image accuracy is needed, ground glass viewing is mostly a must. Most of wide angle viewfinders have distortion and other problems. Alternative to this could be to use a film-video directors view finder like this:
    http://cavision.biz/images/products/detail/VFM11X.jpg

It is shoe mount and has tilt-distance compensation. Works good enough to get the job done.

Sinar handy idea has been around for a long time. There have been many versions of this idea in recent years from Hasselblad flex body, Cambo wide, Horseman wide, Alpa and many others. Really a speciality camera, but can be fun and interesting to use. Suggest using a 4x5 graphmatic to get six sheets of 4x5 film in a small package if a 4x5 film version is used. This is much easier and more convent than lugging around a stack of 4x5 film holders. For roll film, there are many choices that work well.

Bernice