Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: digital scale recommendations?

digital scale recommendations?

I'm going to mix some of my own chemicals for the first time, and I need a small scale for weighing. There are many available on Amazon - does anyone have any recommendations? I just want something that will work for years to come.

Re: digital scale recommendations?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O5K3JQ is what I have.
    (Customers who bought this also shopped for many recreational pharmaceutical accessories as well.)

If you get one that measures to += 2/100 or to 2/1000 of a gram you will be set for most anything in photo chemistry.
    When mixing small amounts the accuracy will be appreciated. When mixing a bit more it is nice to have a scale that will weigh amounts up to 500 grams or so.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I bought this: http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/je...ale-cj600.html
    I'm happy with it. I've had it just over a year, so I don't know about long term performance.
    Note that the power adapter is not included.

I have had an OHAUS Cent-O-GRAM for years. It measures up to 311 grams. I rarely need more than that. Here's a shot of its four scales:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silver1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	166888

The rear scale can be set for 0, 100, or 200 grams.
    The third scale can be set for 0 to 100 grams in increments of 10 grams.
    The second scale can be set for 0 to 10 grams in increments of 1 gram.
    The front scale can be set for 0 to 1 grams in increments of 0.01 grams.

It is adjustable and easy to use. It is not digital, but is always accurate, and you never have to worry about batteries, corrosion, etc. You should be able to get one of these, or similar, really cheap on EBAY.
    Last edited by xkaes; 6-Jul-2017 at 04:05.

Thanks all. I decided to go analog as suggested by xkaes and was about to bid on one on Ebay when my neighbor who has EVERYTHING came over. A lightbulb came on ' "Bill, do you have one of these?" Yes. "Can I use it?" You'll have to give me a little to find it. "How long is a little?" A couple days. "Okay, I can wait."

Problem solved!

Nice!
    I little metal / tin dish is nice to have for measuring the substances in. (or a single use plastic "weighing dish")
    I unfortunately got a scale that isn't really big enough, it could hold the weight, but the volume of some of those powders is surprising! Sorry I cant find the specs right now =)
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

The dish on the OHAUS is high-grade stainless steel. If you work with highly corrosive powders -- which I never have -- you can use a paper or plastic protector (and adjust the scale accordingly -- very easy with a round knob on the end.). You can also weight liquids in a flask/bowl (not included) in the same way. There is even a simple way to weigh material IN water -- specific density/gravity?. I haven't needed to do that since college chemistry -- and don't even remember what it is called -- but the OHAUS does it. Nice little rig. It is sold with a plastic cover to keep dust at bay. It's important to keep it clean for accurate measurements.

Those SOLD prices on EBAY are amazing! Everything from $5 to $215 -- for the same thing!!! I've never seen such a wide spread on an item -- no doubt due to poor pictures/descriptions on the part of the sellers, and desperation on the part of the buyers. The EBAY sales cover basically everything from "free" to "ridiculous". If you buy one, make sure it has the original OHAUS specimen dish and dish holder/cradle. It would also be nice if it inculded the plastic cover, box, and the instruction manual, but you can get by without those.

OHAUS also made a "big brother" to the Cento-O-Gram 311. It holds more, but it may not go down to 1/100th of a gram (that's as fine as I need to go). I'm sure they made MANY other models as well. Heck, at the prices on EBAY, I just might buy a backup!!!
    Last edited by xkaes; 6-Jul-2017 at 12:39.

I remember using Ohaus scales in college Chem classes - can't go wrong with the brand. Personally I'd rather have an analog scale any day. And yes I still use my slide rule!!! Why not - it's fast and easy. The Empire State Building and other iconic structures were built by slide rule so to speak. My half-brother did all of the the stress analyses for the
    sort of suspended looking restaurant at LAX and he told me he used a slide rule for all the calculations. Analog forever!

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I have had an OHAUS Cent-O-GRAM for years. It measures up to 311 grams. I rarely need more than that. Here's a shot of its four scales:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silver1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	166888

The rear scale can be set for 0, 100, or 200 grams.
    The third scale can be set for 0 to 100 grams in increments of 10 grams.
    The second scale can be set for 0 to 10 grams in increments of 1 gram.
    The front scale can be set for 0 to 1 grams in increments of 0.01 grams.

It is adjustable and easy to use. It is not digital, but is always accurate, and you never have to worry about batteries, corrosion, etc. You should be able to get one of these, or similar, really cheap on EBAY.
    I am a bit of a balance lover. I have 2 Sartorius electronic top loaders, got from a business that went to new models, free. One is fine range the other heavier. I never use them. Instead I use my collection of mechanical Ohaus balances. I have a Dial-O-Gram, Harvard Trip Balance, a triple beam as pictured, and my favorite a Huge triple beam Solution balance that has weights that go up to 20 kg and is accurate to +/- 1 gram. I can tare a large container and using sp. gravity specs from Kodak, dissolve my XTOL, then add water until the mass equals 5000 cc of XTOL at the correct sp. gv. Completely unnecessary, but like big old cameras, it's a helluva lot of fun!
    Mike