Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Double and Triple Protars

Re: Double and Triple Protars

I have not tried it, but generally mixing B&L and Zeiss cells is not recommended. Even mixing generation one and two Zeiss cells is not recommended. You can tell the difference between the two by checking if the focal length is in mms or cms. The cms ones are the later design.

I've had a lot of protars over the years and use them all the time. My experience has been that the single Zeiss cells (second generation) can't hold a candle to the B&L ones when used as single cells. Combined the Zeiss ones are outstanding. But as singles all the ones I tried has sharpness fall off that was extreme on the edges, even when I was well within the recommended film size and the lens was centered.

Re: Double and Triple Protars

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    I have not tried it, but generally mixing B&L and Zeiss cells is not recommended. Even mixing generation one and two Zeiss cells is not recommended. You can tell the difference between the two by checking if the focal length is in mms or cms. The cms ones are the later design.
    Very interesting, not recommended by whom? I have a Ross / B&L combination which I've used with good results. I notice there's an old thread about mixing and matching Protar VII cells here:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...I-Protar-cells

I've not noticed that Zeiss single cells are any better or worse than Ross or B&L.