Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ghost Town,St. Elmo CO.

Re: Ghost Town,St. Elmo CO.

The pump is primed then. Have a great time -- and show us a picture or two.

I spoke too soon. While you are there you can put in a bid for the old Eldorado Mine in St. Elmo. It's four acres and up for sale for under $100,000. No kidding.

See:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...less-than-100k

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Tierney View Post
    Understand, worked for Smithsonian in Wash. D.C. for 25 years. Tourist can be a real challenge at times.

Put on a 10-stop ND filter, or two? People seem to just disappear. (Proof of how transient our existence is?)

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Interesting idea. Just get the light down enough, for say an eight second exposure, and you would have a REAL Ghost Town!

I remember a very old photo from the Daguerreotype era of a Paris street scene. The exposure was very long, of course, so the streets were completely vacant -- except for one guy who managed, unknowingly, to sit still on a rail through the entire exposure.

Why go all the way down to Salida? Take Hwy 24 out of the Springs, past the turnoff to Pike's Peak, through Woodland Park (dinosaur museum), over Ute Pass, through Florissant (Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument), over Wilkerson Pass and out into South Park, along to 285 and over Trout Creek Pass and cross the Arkansas River at Johnson Village, and then down to Nathrop. A much more scenic route. Then if you want a high country ghost town, come back north on 285/24 through Buena Vista to Hwy 82 (the Independence Pass Road) past Twin Lakes and just over the pass to the real ghost town on the left. Then if you want, continue on the road to Aspen - not so much of a ghost town anymore. Or, come back down 24 to Johnson Village and head north on 285 to Fairplay and visit "South Park City" which is an outdoor museum of old South Park. From there you can continue on Hwy 9 past Alma (once nearly a mining ghost town) and over Hoosier Pass to Breckenridge - like Aspen not so much of a ghost town anymore. From there you can go on to I70 and back through Denver.

Great suggestion -- beautiful scenery -- just forget about having any time to stop and take pictures of it.

Thanks to all, you have been very helpful.

Eric Biggerstaff

Do some research on ghost towns in Colorado as there are many good ones. St. Elmo is nice and if you are there very early in the morning you won't have issues with people. Depending on budget you can get a nice room at the Mt. Princeton Hot Springs Resort a few miles down the road or there is camping in the area. Chauncey has described a nice route which would provide plenty of photo opportunities. Also, there is no need for a four wheel drive vehicle to visit St. Elmo, it is an easy dirt road to drive.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

You mention late 60's and not movin' so fast. I can relate. Don't forget the elevation is 10,000 feet there. That can be a spoiler. Just keep it in mind and move slow. I'm mid 60's but have a little advantage having lived the last 35 at 6000 elevation. Even so, I don't push very hard at 10K

I live outside of Wash.DC, it's like living at 20,000 feet.