Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Finally got a "Texas Leica"!

Re: Finally got a "Texas Leica"!

Resisted for years on acquiring a GSW690III, but then finally came across one in near mint condition with under a 100 roll count and took the plunge. have been using the camera for over a year now. My observations:
    1. Replaced the OEM neck strap with a "heavy duty" strap from UPstrap. Much prefer walking with my camera hanging over my shoulder rather than in front of me, and this strap stays on my shoulder.
    2. Thin foam seal in the back deteriorated and had to be replaced. Off eBay, got some sheets of thin foam with an adhesive back. Was a pain to manually remove the deteriorated OEM foam, should have got and used some adhesive remover which would have made the job a lot easier. New strips of foam went in easily.
    3. Have yet to use the camera on a tripod, and strictly use it hand held.
    4. Always use Ilford HP5 plus film and expose using the Sunny f/16 rule. Far more accurate than a small clip on exposure meter that I used for a time.
    5. Favorite MF equipment to take with me on hikes is the GSW690III and a NOBLEX 6/150UX (with tripod) in a small backpack. Use the same film with both which simplifies things.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Certainly an appropriate camera for someone named Austin. I've got the 68 version and really like it.

Roger
    I remember getting flack for my name when I was a kid and now there are little Austins running around everywhere. I paved the way for those guys!

The 6x8 version is pretty rare I think. I've never seen one in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Was out today with both my Texas Leica and aP67 w/165 Tele. Nice casual combination in a large shoulder bag. Fast changing light and unpredictable wind, showers. Got out ahead of the big storm due tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Resisted for years on acquiring a GSW690III, but then finally came across one in near mint condition with under a 100 roll count and took the plunge. have been using the camera for over a year now. My observations:
    1. Replaced the OEM neck strap with a "heavy duty" strap from UPstrap. Much prefer walking with my camera hanging over my shoulder rather than in front of me, and this strap stays on my shoulder.
    2. Thin foam seal in the back deteriorated and had to be replaced. Off eBay, got some sheets of thin foam with an adhesive back. Was a pain to manually remove the deteriorated OEM foam, should have got and used some adhesive remover which would have made the job a lot easier. New strips of foam went in easily.
    3. Have yet to use the camera on a tripod, and strictly use it hand held.
    4. Always use Ilford HP5 plus film and expose using the Sunny f/16 rule. Far more accurate than a small clip on exposure meter that I used for a time.
    You guys are tough. After a few attempts, I decided that the Texas Leica is a one-camera-at-a-time camera. I did carry mine all the way to Easter Island though! :-)
    Moai, Rano Raraku, Easter Island by Austin Granger, on Flickr

Here's one made with my GSW690III:

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

GW690II Acros 100 Rodinal 1:50

191110-1 by Michael Teresko, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Here's one made with my GSW690III:

Nice!

GW690lll Ilford HP5 print on Foma Variant iii FB
    IMG_8386 by , on Flickr

For fun

2019, Fuji 400H, Tetenal 1-liter kit

Evergreen Fair by tuco, on Flickr

2018, Delta 3200

Fair Atmosphere by tuco, on Flickr

Same here

Lemon Booth by tuco, on Flickr

The Lemon Booth by tuco, on Flickr

GSW690III

Drew Wiley

I've done a few trips exclusively with the GS690II. Got a lot of nice shots I otherwise wouldn't due to the rapid ease of use good depth of field, and not needing to worry about any different perspective. But I've also lost a lot of shots for lack of telephoto or normal lenses, flare in the lens (hard to shade well), lack of correction of vertical trees etc, and of course the enlargement limitation of med format. But still I think it's one of the smartest camera investments I've ever made. Got it cheap enough that I don't need to be paranoid about having it out in the rain and snow, or getting a little scar here or there. The primary lens was in perfect condition, not even any dust inside.
    The viewfinders always seem to get hazed at bit over time, but remain functional. I distinctly like the 6x9 shape more than 6x7 (though I often shoot a P67 too for its wide lens selection, particularly tele use in bad weather when view camera bellows become kites). Give me a crisper print on 16x20 paper than cropping down 6X7 to similar shape. A very fun practical camera, especially when I want to just carry a casual light shoulder case instead of a full pack. I mainly shoot Acros or TMX100 in it, or Ektar for color, or TMY400 for handheld use, which it excels at.

Well, for me, I try not to think about lost shots because of a fixed focal length. Especially with walking around pictures. Instead, I concentrate on what kind of pictures the focal length will do. And surprisingly, again for me, it narrows my focus of what I'm looking for which can make things easier. For the weight, I'd rather walk around with a tripod than the weight of say a 300mm lens for 6x7+ format. If I expect I'll need a different focal length before I head out, I have other cameras that cover a comprehensive range of medium format lenses.