Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Finally got a "Texas Leica"!

Drew Wiley

Re: Finally got a "Texas Leica"!

Totally different style. For the P67 equipped with a 300 lens I necessarily use the same larger Ries tripod and external-frame backpack as for 8x10 work. I had a limited budget and had to make a choice. A few years ago I came upon an extremely clean M7 with 80 lens at a very tempting price. I didn't take the bait, because for even less I got BOTH a mint P67 300EDIF lens, which I had long wished for, as well as a fully functional GW690II, with its preferable 6X9 proportion. When I need to save pack weight and space on especially long backpacking trips, I take my little Ebony 4X5 folder and 6X9 roll film backs, plus a selection of three compact lenses, typically a 105, 180, and 300. Either the Fuji RF or a beater P67 stays hidden in the car for quickie road work; if something gets taken, it won't be horribly expensive to replace. The pricey gear will be with me in my pack. Plus I have a few full 4X5 holders for any more serious shots encountered. Too many toys = too much fun!

Yeah, I have Pentax 67 I use for its telephoto lenses. I also have a M* 300mm EDIF and 6x7 Takumar 600/4. I've used a travel tripod on the lens mount plus mono pod on the camera body when using that M* 300mm sometimes. I just don't raise it but to waist-level and I can get by okay without having to lug my larger tripod around.

Drew Wiley

I've successfully shot it at higher speeds resting on a jacket atop a car roof "sniper" style. But I prefer to bolt it directly to the platform top of the Ries without any intervening tripod head just like the 8x10. Steady even in storms if a bit of smart timing between gusts is used. It's quite windy here at times. The Texas Leica is easier to hand shoot than even my Nikon. I prefer to use my smaller Ries not only for 4x5 but even the smaller camera, but substitute a much lighter CF unit for backpack and airline travel. It's fairly easy to take both a P67 equipped with a 165 lens plus the Texas Lecia because the latter doesn't weight much more than an additional P67 lens; that way, I still have a handheld shooting option allowing somewhat slower speeds if necessary. That has sure come in handy when unremitting mountain storms have made any kind of tripod use unrealistic.