Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally got a "Texas Leica"!

Finally got a "Texas Leica"!

I've been wanting one of these for many years. I finally won one on Ebay for a price I was willing to spend, and it is in exellent condition, where most are pretty worn looking.

So, what is it? It's a Fuji G690 BL medium format rangefinder. It's been known as a Texas Leica because it's HUGE (nearly 5 lbs), almost cartoon size and it's similarity to a Leica M3. It takes 6cm x 9cm medium format negatives.

I ran a test roll through it yesterday to make sure everything was working. It seems to work at all speeds and the rangefinder is spot on. These are nothing special, just some shots from around my shop. Because of the very large negative, I only get 8 shots per roll.

G690BL Test 1 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

G690BL Test 2 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

G690BL Test 3 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

G690BL Test 4 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Since this is very similar to an M3, handling and using it is very easy. It is the fastest medium format camera I've ever used, just what I wanted! I'll probably be taking it up into the high country tomorrow for some hiking and photography.

Re: Finally got a "Texas Leica"!

Congratulations! I think you will really like its performance. Not a view camera, of course, but it makes so many things possible that you might otherwise miss.

I have the 6x7, and the lens is very sharp. Are you using it hand-held? Have fun!

The 690 is even good for portraits:

Helen by chrism229, on Flickr

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

After the past week's heat wave, you might also find a good deal on an "Arizona Leica"...

"I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Well Mark...the ever ready case looks a bit far gone - but the camera and lens should buff out just fine!

I've had a bunch of them myself. Great cameras. After a number of G690 and GL690 bodies I've settled on the GM670 as my favorite.

Congrats. I shoot a GSW690III a lot and take it all kinds of places. Did I miss what lens the camera is sporting in those nice images?

I bought two of these, one with a 65mm and one with a 90mm. I use them when it's too windy for view cameras. Love them.

The GW690III and GSW690III have to be some of my most favorite cameras. Love the fact that there are no electronics involved. The lenses are sharp and the weight not bad considering the size of the negative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Congrats. I shoot a GSW690III a lot and take it all kinds of places. Did I miss what lens the camera is sporting in those nice images?
    It has the 100 mm f3.5 lens.

It's sharp wide open.

This is quickly becoming my favorite camera, well, second to my Zone VI 4x5 anyway!

Here are a few more shots from it.

G690 BL Roll 2- 2 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

G690BL Roll 3 - 1 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

G690BL Roll 3 - 2 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

G690BL Roll 3 - 4 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr