Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compagnon "the backpack" for Linhof Technika equipment: recommendable?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Compagnon "the backpack" for Linhof Technika equipment: recommendable?

Mostly I carry my Linhof Master Technika Classic equipment (in addition to the camera: Super Symmar HM 120, Apo-Sironar S 180, spotmeter, a few film backs, film, Silvestri 6x loupe, cable release, Paramo dark cloth, Gitzo 2542 w/ Markins QT3, including a changing bag occasionally as well as pen and paper) in a BW 5000 case with a backpack carrying system. The case and photo insert are great to work out of, however, dragging the whole lot along 20km of trail can be a little cumbersome.

Does anyone of you have experience with Compagnon "the backpack" (http://compagnon-bags.com/produkt/co...n-fotorucksack), and whether this would improve portability of the mentioned (or similar) set-up? I called someone at Compagnon the other day but they do not seem to be familiar with LF gear.

Re: Compagnon "the backpack" for Linhof Technika equipment: recommendable?

I guess I'm to late for OP, but perhaps someone else will find it useful.

My Compagnon arrived yesterday. I wanted a backpack that would swallow my 5x7, three cassettes and at least one extra lens. The problem was that I also wanted a backpack that was not made in black nylon. This combination seemed almost impossible to find, until I found Compagnon.

Fits a 5x7 VDS (with lens mounted), a Fujinon 90 SW mounted on lens plate, Fujinon 400 T mounted on lens plate, three 5x7 cassettes and I put the focus cloth in the laptop compartment.

It's a bit on the heavy side, but I have not tried it in the field yet.

The materials and construction is great - thick leather, great hardware, heavy waxed cotton - but then again it should be considering the price, which I find to be a bit over the top... Stuff made in western Europe tend to be a bit pricey though.
    I paid full price for this, and was not asked to do any review.

We're going out in a few hours, looking forward to seeing how The Backpack will perform!

By "cassette" do you mean a standard double sided film holder, or a multi-film unit?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

The Compagnon is appealing. I got a backpack from my late camera store, a Canon brand which accommodates a Super Technika, filters, three lenses, mirror back, light meter, and incidentals. It is just fine.

Oh, and it had a gold colored plastic brand attached, "Canon". I cut off the "C". It is now "anon". A bit of pay-back.
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 31-Mar-2018 at 16:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    By "cassette" do you mean a standard double sided film holder, or a multi-film unit?
    Regular double sided, the pink bag in the picture

Konig makes the backpack that Linhof sells for their cameras. Check them out.

The Compagnon looks well designed but heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    The Compagnon looks well designed but heavy.
    It is heavy! About 7½ Kg with camera, fuji 180mm, three cassettes, dark cloth and tripod, however it sits very well on the back. I regret not getting the extra belt as I'm currently using the chest belt at the waist. Will probably buy one of those in the future.

A bit less flashy, but for me the Lowepro Protactic 450AW works really well:

Fits my Shenhao TZ45-IIA, 180/5.6, 90/8 and 300/9, 6 holders, accessories etc. Depending on the occasion i will put the holders in the laptop compartment and my 35mm SLR in the top.

I use a National Geographic "Africa Medium" backpack. They are made by Manfrotto apparently, and the quality attests to that: Best bag I've ever used, and I don't mean just for photography either. It is very well built; with waxed canvas and thick leather. I do not baby my photography equipment that much - it always takes a beating - and this backpack has held up for me flawlessly for years, plus it's traveled from northern Ontario down through the States to the Mexican border, and kept my Linhof Super Technika III, Sinar Zoom I, Rolleiflex 3.5B, 3 LF lenses, and a Tiltall strapped to the side, comfortably safe the whole time. For longer hikes in 100+ deg. weather it could use more padding around the lower back, but that can be DIY'ed. Other than that, I love this bag. can't recommend it enough! Pretty lightweight too!

dboswell.portfoliobox.net

Find more of my work here, find more about me here.
    Technika V, Technika 70, Rolleiflex 3.5