Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Light Meter Recommendations | My SinarSix isn't working ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Need Light Meter Recommendations | My SinarSix isn't working ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think the SinarSix/Gossen Light Meter (see photo) that I purchased either isn't working properly, or I truly have absolutely no idea how to use it. Because of this, I find myself relying on a light meter app on my iPhone, which isn't ideal, but it has worked relatively well. Anyway, when I compare the suggested shutter speed reading from the SinarSix to the reading from my iPhone app, it's wayyy off. It seems like the SinarSix only gives me approximately accurate numbers when in shade or when the sun is going down. Maybe I have the wrong reading ring? The only ring I have for it is an "S" ring. Apparently there is another "N" ring, "X" ring, and "P" ring, but I don't know if those are for different, more deluxe, SinarSix models.

Anyway, that said, I think I need a new light meter asap, preferably used and from eBay.

Do you guys have any recommendations for light meters or spot meters, or should I go on using my iPhone app/not give up on my SinarSix?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2379.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	193181

Re: Need Light Meter Recommendations | My SinarSix isn't working ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Have you tried having it checked by Quality Light Metric in Hollywood? Call them to drop it off (they don't have a storefront). Very highly recommended.

If you can live with an averaging meter, look for a Horseman 4x5 meter. If you decide to shop for one, buy only with the right of return. I've bought more than one of their 6x9ers, finally got a good one. Many are no good and since no parts are available, only a good one will do.

See my article on Horseman meters. There's a link to it in the list. If you don't know what the list is, there's a link to it in the first post in this https://www.largeformatphotography.i...mainly)-lenses discussion.

I wouldn't give up on your SinarSix/Gossen Light Meter. My present one worked great for years, then started to behave erratically. Batteries checked out fine so thought the meter was on its way out, after all had to be 30 years old plus. Turned out to be that on the bottom of the screw-in battery cover/cap the thin metal piece was not bent up to make contact with the face of the battery but was flat against the bottom of the cap.
    I would suggest getting a hold of an IB for the SinarSix if you don't already have one. Before acquiring the IB, had a hard time using the meter. After acquiring a IB for it, using the meter became a breeze to use.
    Good Luck

Why not see if Samy’s have those other rings?

You will be lost without the Instruction Book. Amazing what you can do with this thing. Easy once you understand it. Foolproof too.

TTL through the Sinar camera is about as good as it gets. Something may need tweaked, don't give up.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Have you tried having it checked by Quality Light Metric in Hollywood? Call them to drop it off (they don't have a storefront). Very highly recommended.
    Whoa! Thanks for the suggestion!!! �� I had no idea that LA had a dedicated light meter repair shop.

I'll contact them tomorrow, for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    If you can live with an averaging meter, look for a Horseman 4x5 meter. If you decide to shop for one, buy only with the right of return. I've bought more than one of their 6x9ers, finally got a good one. Many are no good and since no parts are available, only a good one will do.

See my article on Horseman meters. There's a link to it in the list. If you don't know what the list is, there's a link to it in the first post in this https://www.largeformatphotography.i...mainly)-lenses discussion.
    Wow, those Horseman meters look great! I just checked them out on eBay. Is there a good reason to get an averaging meter like this over, say, a spot meter? (I'm still learning about meters.)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I wouldn't give up on your SinarSix/Gossen Light Meter. My present one worked great for years, then started to behave erratically. Batteries checked out fine so thought the meter was on its way out, after all had to be 30 years old plus. Turned out to be that on the bottom of the screw-in battery cover/cap the thin metal piece was not bent up to make contact with the face of the battery but was flat against the bottom of the cap.
    I would suggest getting a hold of an IB for the SinarSix if you don't already have one. Before acquiring the IB, had a hard time using the meter. After acquiring a IB for it, using the meter became a breeze to use.
    Good Luck
    Yeah, I don't really want to give up on it, unless I absolutely have to.

I found an instruction book at good old cameramanuals.org (http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes..._sinar_six.pdf), but the presumably English translation is extremely difficult to make out, not to mention that my SinarSix is, I think a different model.

Do you have those other "P", "N", and "X" scale dials, and do you use them? I only have the "S" dial, which is apparently the dial for reciprocity failure.

There are about 20 pages about the SinarSix in "The SINAR System Handbook" from 1977 that I have. I'll try to scan them for you.