Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ultra-Light Chamonix 810 Camera

Re: New Ultra-Light Chamonix 810 Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I'm one who uses 90% portrait orientation on 8x10; does Chamonix offer this option (portrait-only back)?
    I could live with having to flip the camera at 90˚ to landscape orientation for the remainder of shooting.
    I used a 4x5 Gowland PocketView (Calumet version) this way for many years -- granted, it is easier to turn a 2 pound camera 90 degrees. The PockerView could be set up as landscape or portrait 'mode', just not practical to do in the field if the light was changing. One just removed the four screws holding the camera on to the standards, rotate the body 90 degrees and put the screws back in. I stopped doing this when I dropped one of the screws in a creek and just flipped the camera 90 degrees on the tripod/head.

But what was interesting was that which ever way I had the camera set-up (portrait or landscape), that was the type of images I tended to see.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I'm one who uses 90% portrait orientation on 8x10; does Chamonix offer this option (portrait-only back)?
    I could live with having to flip the camera at 90˚ to landscape orientation for the remainder of shooting.
    Ari,

We are coming out with a vertical only 810, same as Alpinist. See my earlier post.

Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Ari,

We are coming out with a vertical only 810, same as Alpinist. See my earlier post.

Hugo
    Thanks, Hugo; I must have missed that part. Looks like that speed-reading course was a waste of money.
    I'll keep an eye out for the portrait Alpinist.

Thanks, Hugo; I must have missed that part. Looks like that speed-reading course was a waste of money.
    I'll keep an eye out for the portrait Alpinist.
    Ari my friend, this Portrait Alpinist may be the camera that you are looking for. I know how much you want something sturdy but still light as possible. As much as Frank Petronio hated wooden field cameras for being flimsy, he bought a Chamonix 4x5 and raved about how sturdy it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Ari my friend, this Portrait Alpinist may be the camera that you are looking for. I know how much you want something sturdy but still light as possible. As much as Frank Petronio hated wooden field cameras for being flimsy, he bought a Chamonix 4x5 and raved about how sturdy it was.
    We'll see, Alan (good to hear from you, btw); if the Arca bug hasn't caught me by then, your prediction just might come true!

Yeah, I just hope you get a camera that you really enjoy.

I enjoy most of them, but haven't been able to keep any of them for more than a year or two.
    Then there's that whole "economics" thing that makes me sell stuff I don't want to.

I enjoy most of them, but haven't been able to keep any of them for more than a year or two.
    I do that all the time.

For me it's hard to find the close to perfect camera. As you know I'm very happy with my Wehman 8x10. I also loved my Contax 139 35mm camera. My favorite medium format camera was the RZ67 but it was too heavy for hand held shots due to my bad back. I've got a Mamiya C220f now and an added Minolta Autocord. In digital my D200 and D300 worked well for my sports photography but I always hated the tiny viewfinders. Since I'm no longer shooting sports I now own a Fuji X100s. I like it but I'm looking to possibly add a Nikon D800e with a 3 lens set.

I don't know if you ever saw Frank Petronio's extensive list of cameras that he has owned. I've owned probably 3/4's of the amount he has owned if you are talking about varieties. Some camera's I have owned multiples of. I have no idea how many original Pentax 645 cameras I have bought and sold. It just worked out that way. Also those Cambo/Calumet 4x5 monorails! I'd buy those just for the lens sets that came with them. Anyway, I tried everything out before I sold it. I learned a lot about cameras and a lot about myself.

Here is my list of my favorite cameras. Contax 139, Mamiya RZ67, and Wehman 8x10. The Minolta Autocord may be in the running. I hope you noticed that there were no digital cameras mentioned in the best list.

To be fair to Hugo, I've not yet owned a Chamonix.

I have to give it to Chamonix for the way they keep coming out with new large format cameras. It seems like they are trying to appeal to everyone. I wish them the best.

Then there's that whole "economics" thing that makes me sell stuff I don't want to.
    I've met your lovely wife. I'm sure your daughter is wonderful. How could she not be with the loving parents she has? I'm not rich either. Balancing family with an expensive hobby can be hard. The hobby always gets the cut.