Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ultra-Light Chamonix 810 Camera

Re: New Ultra-Light Chamonix 810 Camera

Ozzz,

This new camera is about half the weight of our flagship 810 camera with convertible back. Anybody who wants one 810 camera for universal use should consider our 810 camera with convertible back.

But over the years, people keep asking us to make them a light weight 810 camera, many of them already have our 810 convertible cameras. Excuses can always be found: some people who want to walk far from there parked cars and others who shoot mostly horizontal landscapes.

Do we plan to make another camera with convertible back at the same weight? Not possible. But we do plan to make an identical sister for this camera and it will be vertical only. So we will have a twin. All the numbers will be the same. The new baby will come out next March.

I guess the point is that some people, this number is very small indeed, are asking for and willing to pay multiple cameras for one format. Crazy, isn't it? Almost like some car people.

Thanks for the reply Hugo, the example is aptly put indeed. I have sent you a PM on a similar subject which doesn't relate the 810 (hence I sent by way of PM). Thanks and look forward to reading reviews on the camera!

I just received my Alpinist. What a wonderful camera! It is the new Millennium successor to the Phillips Explorer. Absolutely world class materials, construction and finish. The camera is so simple it becomes an extension of you.

I probably insulted Hugo when I emailed that having owned two Phillips Explorers, I think Dick would pleased to see what Chamonix has done with his concept. I meant it as a compliment of the highest order.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _JPZ8846_750.jpg   810Alpinist-2702_750.jpg   810Alpinist-2739_750.jpg  
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

Beautiful.

Like the look and the GG protector.

That's a nice looking camera. I look forward to hearing about how it is in the field.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Appreciate this is an ultra-light option for a 8x10 camera - but is there an easy way to put the camera in portrait positions when you want to, say, picture a tree? I seem to be unable to comprehend the charm of horizontal- / vertical-only field cameras...have I missed the elephant in the room, or do you really shoot exclusively horizontal composition?

Landscape orientation in virtually all my imaging. Given the weight, tilting ninety degrees is not an issue. However, as Dick Phillips cautioned many years ago when buying his Explorers, if you have more that 10% of your images in portrait orientation, you will not be happy with a horizontal only camera.

I wanted compact and lightweight to trim down my 8x10 kit. Lighter camera, lighter tripod, smaller lenses, and where are our replacement Mido holders to round it all out? All this fits into a "largish" shoulder bag.

Mike
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

Thanks Mike. Are there quickload-like options for film size larger than 4x5?? I'm not as seasoned as the other members here so would love to know the options!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jones View Post
    Landscape orientation in virtually all my imaging. Given the weight, tilting ninety degrees is not an issue. However, as Dick Phillips cautioned many years ago when buying his Explorers, if you have more that 10% of your images in portrait orientation, you will not be happy with a horizontal only camera.

I wanted compact and lightweight to trim down my 8x10 kit. Lighter camera, lighter tripod, smaller lenses, and where are our replacement Mido holders to round it all out? All this fits into a "largish" shoulder bag.

Mike
    I'm one who uses 90% portrait orientation on 8x10; does Chamonix offer this option (portrait-only back)?
    I could live with having to flip the camera at 90˚ to landscape orientation for the remainder of shooting.