Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ultra-Light Chamonix 810 Camera

Re: New Ultra-Light Chamonix 810 Camera

Ari,

I have been looking an ideal lens, just one lens, for the Alpinist. The Cooke convertible lens you have is the top candidate. For 810 portrait, you can use the combined for half or whole body and use the single element for head shots. The camera can handle that lens with ease, but not my Universal-Heliar 42cm. I would use different camera for studio head shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I've met your lovely wife. I'm sure your daughter is wonderful. How could she not be with the loving parents she has? I'm not rich either. Balancing family with an expensive hobby can be hard. The hobby always gets the cut.
    Thank you, Alan; and you're right, the cameras have to come last these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Ari,

I have been looking an ideal lens, just one lens, for the Alpinist. The Cooke convertible lens you have is the top candidate. For 810 portrait, you can use the combined for half or whole body and use the single element for head shots. The camera can handle that lens with ease, but not my Universal-Heliar 42cm. I would use different camera for studio head shots.
    Hi Hugo,
    The Cooke is a very special lens, so you obviously have great taste!
    But it's got its quirks as well, which are really just natural properties of convertible lenses.
    The Chamonix 8x10's bellows maxes out at 700mm with extension board; believe it or not, this isn't long enough when using the Cooke at its longest FL of 646mm. For that you need 733mm of extension just to get to infinity.
    And the shorter 476mm FL needs 542mm of extension, just barely enough for full extension without the add-on board.
    The 311mm needs 312mm of extension.
    https://www.cookeoptics.com/l/xva.html
    Last edited by Ari; 12-Nov-2017 at 20:43.

Has anyone used this camera turned 90 degrees to get a vertical composition? How did it handle? What was your experience?

Hi everyone,

Our new ultra-light 810 model is coming out in mid July.

It is a horizontal only format and you have to turn the camera 90 degrees for vertical shots. The name of the camera is 810 Alpinist.

Here are some numbers:

weight: 2,460 grams without the ground glass cover
    max bellows without extension rack: 570mm, 700mm with extension rack
    min bellows: 60mm
    front rise: 72mm, front fall: 53mm, front shift: 50mm on each side
    rear swing: 10 degrees on each side
    rear tilt: 30 degrees
    folded size: 355mm x 270mm x 97mm
    price: $3,500 plus $115 EMS shipping

I will post some pictures next month in our website when it comes out.

Hugo

We recommend this camera for people shooting 80% of 8x10 format in horizontal format. Yes you can turn the camera 90 degrees to shoot portrait as long as the lens is not too heavy.

We also have a vertical only 810 Alpinist for people shooting mostly portraits. A few photographers have both cameras because they don't like to turn the camera 90 degrees.

We plan to make an 810 Alpinist with convertible back so you don't have to turn the camera 90 degrees. This is going to be more expensive and the waiting time will be at least 8-10 months.

Ari,

Recently have come to more and more use one lens for on my 8x10 Chamonix... 13" (330mm) Wollensak f/6.8 Series IA Raptar. Its lens coating is amazingly good and compares quite favorably to modern coatings. Also convertible to 20" and 25 1/2" which I am using more than I thought I would. Size is also compact and image on the GG brighter than I thought it would be when I acquired the lens.

I used to have that lens too and liked it a lot. Very sharp.

We recommend this camera for people shooting 80% of 8x10 format in horizontal format. Yes you can turn the camera 90 degrees to shoot portrait as long as the lens is not too heavy.

We also have a vertical only 810 Alpinist for people shooting mostly portraits. A few photographers have both cameras because they don't like to turn the camera 90 degrees.

We plan to make an 810 Alpinist with convertible back so you don't have to turn the camera 90 degrees. This is going to be more expensive and the waiting time will be at least 8-10 months.
    Any word on the Alpinist with convertible back?

Chamonix 810 Alpinist with convertible back will be out in the first half of 2020 and 810H will be in later part of 2020.

Nothing against chamonix but Richard ritter's 8x10 has all the blows extensions you will ever need

That's bellows extension..oops!