Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite B+W Film / Dev Combo

Favorite B+W Film / Dev Combo

hey fellas,

with the help of a good friend of mine, i am currently testing various b+w films and developer combinations. the current combo to beat seems to be ilford fp4+ developed in pyro hd (1:1:100) at 70 degrees for 13 minutes.

my previous favorite was fp4+ developed in ilford dd, but when developed in pryro hd, the negs have a wonderful tone and sharpness that i've not seen with other films/developers.

just wondering what your favorites are?

scott

Eric Biggerstaff

Scott,

This is sure to get you a bunch of answers.

I like the following:

Fuji Neopan Arcos 100, rated 64, developed in Xtol stock

Ilford HP5+ Rated 200, in DDX 1+6

Bergger BFP 200, rated 100 in Rodinal 1+25

TMaxx 100, rated 64 in TMax RS diluted from stock at 1+9

T Max 400, rated 200 in TMax RS diluted from stock 1+9

Of these I use Ilford HP5+ 70% of the time and Fuji the remaining, just whatever I have in the cupboard or can get a good deal on.

It is kind of tough to say I have a favorite, I just use what ever I can get! :-)

Have a great one.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

D76 1-1, HP5+ except with Readyloads, then it's D76 1-1, TMax 100. Except for some extensive testing of PMK a few years ago I haven't used any developer other than D76 for about 10 years.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Scott,

I'm not personally a rabid pyro fan, but just last weekend I saw some lightjet black and white prints in person done by a photographer from San Francisco (Chris Honeysett) that were stunning.

I don't have a vested inerest in this guy, but for your information he shoots 4x5 FP4 Plus rated at 64 developed in pyro (pmk, if I remember right.) He told me that pyro works great for scanning, and he feels that he has got digital black and white printing down to a point where he doesn't need to spend time in a wet darkroom anymore.

I don't want to start a big flame-throwing contest, just tossing out what I know for the time being.

thanks for the replies fellas.

i previously ran some tests on tmax, acros, hp5+, and fp4+, as before then i was skeptical that there would be any difference. boy was i wrong! 100% of the time i found that i preferred fp4+ to the 'modified grain' films. i found the hp5+ to be nice, but a touch too grainy and not quite contrasty enough for my liking. the fp4+ really popped by comparison.

more recently, after seeing some of my friends stuff developed in pyro hd, i became curious about developers too. my fp4+ was all previously developed in ilford dd, but as i mentioned earlier, this first round of tests is leading me to think that fp4+ in pryo hd is going to be a tough combination to beat.

certainly you guys have goven me some other combinations to consider.

thanks again,
    scott

I know what ABC Pyro is, and PMK, but what is Pyro HD, please? And at what ISO speed do you shoot the HP5+?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

bill, pyro (pyrocat) hd is a two-part, less toxic, deveolper developed by sandy king as an alternitive to pryo pmk.

find more info here:
    http://www.photoformulary.com/DesktopModules/StoreProductDetails.aspx?productID=890&tabid=9&tabindex=2&categoryid=31&selection=0&langID=0

Interesting. Anyone here tried Speedibrews Pyro (as stocked by Silverprint) with FP4? As I've nearly run out of Ilford HC and no one seems to have any in stock at the moment I'm ready to experiment.

I find this whole thread confusing. You mean there's something other than Tri-X & D-76 1+1? I don't think so.

I'm also a fan of fp4+ I rate it at 100 and develop in either D76/ID11 or Pyrocat HD in rotary process. Both produce excellent negs.
    Scott, 13min for Pyrocat HD seems a bit long (I do 8.30). Do you use trays? tanks? rotary? Also at what speed do you rate it?