Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ULF shooters who use Ilford film

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

ULF shooters who use Ilford film

I'm doing a quick survey of Ilford film shooters who are using large sheet sizes.
    In sizes larger than 8x10 do you shoot HP5 or try to find a slower film.
    I'm planning to switch to HP5 from T-max 400 but wondered what others were using. A slower film is nice but I only make contact prints so grain is a non-issue, and I feel I can use the extra stops.
    Let me know.
    -Rob

I use HP5 and am very happy. A test enlargement with the new enlarger at a comparable size of 1,2x2 meters there is no grain.

www.soost.com
    Teddan

Why change from Tmx 400? HP5+ is a very different film and I am not sure it will be as good for pt/pd as Tmx 400. You will be forced to use stanning developers with HP5, with Tmx you can use Xtol or HC110 and still get enough density for pt/pd.

If you are pissed at Kodak because they stopped making paper, then if you stop buying film the sooner they will stop making it too....self fulfilling profecy, you know?

Jorge, Where do you find tmax400 larger than 8x10?

Rob mentions he is planning to switch from Tmx 400 to HP5, this is the reason for my comment. For ULF I use the Ultrafine film but I am planning to switch to the JandC 400, I have heard good things about it. Once upon a time Clay tried to get Tmx 400 in 12x20 but Kodak would not do it, they sold him Tri X.

If the intention is to switch to have just one film for all formats, I would go with the JandC 400 for contact printing. It seems to be able to get enough density better than HP5, at least people who like to print with Azo are using it succesfully, so I am hoping it will be good enough for pt/pd too.....

I and several others are working with Kodak as we speak to try to get T Max 400 in larger sizes. Be patient, just maybe in the not to distant future we will be able to post some good news.

Fp4+ is the only Ilford film I find worth shooting. I find that HP5 tops out pretty quickly in the heel section of the film curve for my requirements.

Cheers!

Michael - I have been exploring HP5+ in 8x10 and 5x7, because of its availability in so many sizes, and because I plan to go larger still. I am confused by the terminology you are using. How can a heel top-out ?

Do you mean that the highlights reach a certain density, and go no further upon longer development/exposure ?

Or, do you mean that the shadow values drop off precipitously, once the exposure falls below a certain threshold ? (That has been my experience, which prompted me to consider revising my effective film speed to something lower than 200).

Rob,

I think you'll find that most ULF users choose the film that best suits their intended output. You didn't specify if you'll be contacting on to 'silver' or one of the 'alt' processes. Those working in alt processes find FP4 (Photowarehouse 125) works extremely well either with or without pyro developers. HP5 as Michael says "tops out pretty quickly" and really needs something like the pyro stain to improve it - at least for 'alt'. I've been very happy with Photowarehouse 125 but am aware their website lists the film as 'unavailable' so I'll have to look for an alternative in the future. A friend of mine gave me a few sheets of Efke PL100 to try but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Cheers,
    Roger...

Jorge, I've been using the J&C400 for about 3 months now. I also print in pt/pd. I've been developing in pyrocat hd and wd2d+. It is a great film and I encourage you to give it a try. At first I tried rating it at 200 and soon found out that it is a 400 speed film. That extra speed is quit impressive. It compliments my pl 100 nicely when I need that extra speed, a full 3 stops faster than the efke. Nice expansion, although not like tmax.

I first tried J&C Classic after making the move to ULF as Kodak was not available. After one box the Efke became available in both ULF sizes that I use. What an amazing difference in quality. The Efke responds well to both expansion (N+2) and contraction. At this point in time I am not using a staining developer yet I will be moving in that direction. Even with traditional developer the results from Efke for me are amazing. Even on pt/pd the my intital results are positive. For 8x10 I still use T-Max and will as long as it is available. Despite yanking Azo from production I am not pissed enough at Kodak to stop using T-Max and Tri-X.

Jorge speaks the truth. Moving to another film will involve more work and help to seal another nail in the Kodak film coffin. Michael also has good advice. I still believe that Kodak will continue to make film for years to come. Maybe even in ULF sizes. The ccontinued use of T-Max may help to justify that cause. Botom line....if Kodak made T-Max in ULf sizes I would stock a freezer of all sizes I use.

-Bruce