Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emil Busch Petzval Lens Info

Re: Emil Busch Petzval Lens Info

yes, i have watching that one for years, I think!

it was a time of international exhibitions. Everyone was trying to repeat the original PRince Albert exhibition of 1851 in London. And makers made "exhibition" size lenses!

Wow - I think the one in the eBay link above there is going to be either longer than 20in or 20in but faster than mine (assuming of course that my assumption that f5 marking on my shutter and 4in glass means mine's 20in LF is correct)

Here's my baby - fully extended it's almost 15in long - the extension section is just about 3in.

Good point about the larger ones not being part of the catalog. I wonder if this was also a custom job.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1871.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	167155

Ok, so maybe there the section is 2.5in or so, but it extends a little longer - totally looking forward to seeing what it does.

i think its rather faster, guessing from the proportions (lenght/width).

nice specimen you have there anton. wonder how such a big busch lenses ended up in the US, but in the end most of those big 'guns' can tell an interesting story by now...

Surely the F scale on the (early) Studio Shutter is just a standard which came ex-factory ready for the big American lenses it was designed for?

I don't remember seeing the SS mounted in a french or german lens before.

The separation which is possible is because it is a copy of the the French Derogy and Hermagis Convertible. The locking screws are an easier solution to the rather complex internal barrel screw of the Hermagis.

As someone has already pointed, it is included in last section of Corrado's "French lenses" book. Pages 359-60.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

its german steven, but i think youre right there. i dont think the studio shutter belongs to this lens. probably was mounted on it later...

First of all, I didn't react to your comment about Corrado's mention of the Convertible because it was actually Anton's lens you were thinking about - not mine - which are straightforward Petzvals.

Anton's is not the same as the under-described ebay monster, as that one has 2 alternative mounting threads around the barrel, whilst Anton has just the flange fitting thread on the hood.

Anton's is also a generation later as the engraving has the longer "Insititut" ROJA engraving which was only used at the turn of the century.

there must have been some confusion. i didnt say the lens on ebay has anything to do with antons lens. it was just an example for a Busch petzval which didnt belong to any of the series mentioned in the books, nothing more and nothing less.

would love to test both, but one is in the US in antons hands and the other will have a sad live on ebay for the next decades...

Thanks for keeping the thread going guys!

Steven - great info in that book. So it reads to me as if the sliding part is not really meant to adjust focus imperfections of change focal length of the whole combination, but just to remove that front combo as to use it for landscapes? I'm wondering then why the sliding brass section behind the front lens is so long (like 3.5in at least in mine). Couldn't they have gotten away with putting the lock farther up and having a shorter collar slide in? Hmm...

As for the Studio shutter. The later turn of the century inscription places it around the same time as the shutter was made, right? And didn't Studio shutters went to black pretty quickly? And weren't a lot of those (and other shutters) made rather custom for various lenses and thus engraved with proper largest aperture? I mean I only have two other lenses with them on and neither are rare lenses (Verito and Vitax), but on those it's marked correctly... I may be digging too hard, but I'm still hopeful that it was a custom job and is properly marked.

Shucks - now I really want to test that baby... Just need to Dremel out a large enough hole... More to come!

3.5" sounds about right!

I have both a Hermagis and the Auzaux et Francais double enders and their 1/2 barrel are over 4" - but they are somewhat larger than yours.