Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Durst CLS 1840, 220 volt equipment problem

Re: Durst CLS 1840, 220 volt equipment problem

If the lamp on a CLS1840 is illuminated all the time there is a big problem. The lamp should only have a low voltage (15V) to keep it warm between exposures, it should not illuminate until the second before the shutter opens and for a second after the shutter closes.

Quote Originally Posted by scott palmer View Post
    Thanks so much for the responses. The unit is manufactured in the US. I haven't been able to find a schematic either. Also, I understand that 220 is the same as 110 in theory, I just don't understand why the malfunction seems to manifest through the step-up transformer, which vibrates and buzzes loudly when the timer button is pressed for exposure, or the switch is clicked to 'Focus'.
    Those symptoms indicate that you're drawing much too much current from the step-down transformer than it's designed to provide.

You need to get a new transformer, and NOT a Philmore (imported junk).

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense and indicates that mine was malfunctioning too. I'm glad that you caught my misinformation before it did any harm.

Sizing the step-up/-down transformer properly for the load is a simple matter. Look at the nameplates for each item that plugs into the transformer and write down the power consumption (probably in watts). Add all those values together, then multiply by 1.2 or so to give a safety margin.

The transformer should be rated at least that value, or higher. Transformers are often rated in Volt-Amperes (VA). To a first approximation, VA = watts, so 1500 VA = 1500 watts, etc.

Also, you might encounter either value with a k (kilo) prefix, meaning 1000. So 1.5kVA = 1500 VA.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by johngb View Post
    Hi Scott,
    I just signed up and noticed your post about the power supply. I hope that everything has been resolved at this late date but just wanted to mention something.
    When I first got my 1840 I was using a step-up transformer that could not handle the wattage. I returned it for a 3000W transformer and it stayed cool and quiet.
    As for the lamp not turning off.......it's not supposed to! The head is designed so that the lamp is always on and at the right color temperature when the exposure is made.
    That's why the enlarger has a solenoid-actuated shutter to block the light from the constantly burning bulb. I did not love the idea of a 1000W bulb burning all the time so I switched it out for a 500W version (EHD I think.) After that I realized that I might not have needed the bigger transformer after all.
    I know that this is probably too late to be of assistance to you but perhaps someone else has similar concerns.
    Johngb
    johngb: Okay, I'm now able to get back to the 1840 difficulties. In re-reading your response, I'm confused. Unless I'm overlooking something, my 1840 does not have a shutter mechanism. Additionally, I know that Jen Jensen passed away, and that Durst USA no longer exists. The problem there is that he produced the EST 1500N power supply and now there isn't any information about the product. However, the unit is still giving me problems that I've been unable to diagnose. It powers up the bulb, but it (the bulb) stays on all the time the power supply is turned on. Additionally, the Gralab timer I'm using doesn't seem to have any effect, in any mode. I guess I'm really back where I started from. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    If the lamp on a CLS1840 is illuminated all the time there is a big problem. The lamp should only have a low voltage (15V) to keep it warm between exposures, it should not illuminate until the second before the shutter opens and for a second after the shutter closes.
    Update. Okay, I'm making progress. The timer was bad and always stayed in Focus. So different timer and things are almost okay. The problem now is, once the time for the exposure is complete and the timer resets itself, the bulb stays of for around 10 more seconds. The fan comes on as soon as the exposure begins and stays on for a while after the exposure, and after the bulb has finally gone out. I assume the fan is running on a thermostat and shuts off once the bulb temperature drops far enough. But the bulb stays on at apparent full strength for that 10 further seconds. Is there supposed to be a shutter mechanism with this thing? If there is, I can't find where it goes, much less where it is.

The EST1000 runs the bulb just for a second or so after the shutter closes. Your ten second delay is probably adjustable in the unit somewhere, but I'd be happy at this point, seems like most of it is functional at this time from your description. Maybe the 4 black boxes with adjustment knobs, those could be the timers that run the relay bank.
    From what I recall on the CLS1840, the 1000W lamp is 120V the blower [Lufter] is 220V, the shutter motor is 24V, the shutter motor relay coil is 24V and the indicator lamps are also 24V.
    The shutter CLS1840 shutter should be visible by removing the upper diffusion box [Oben]:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLS 2000 shutter.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	187066

Problems solved. Turns out, the large cable that connects the light head and the power supply had been damaged at some point, somehow. I was running out of ideas, so I finally checked the continuity of all the cables and found one wire that, when I opened the connector, had a broken solder joint. It was obviously one of the wires to the shutter. It was also flopping around inside the connector body and shorting out other connections every time the cable was moved. I soldered it back together and everything works fine. I think I finally understand how and why this unit works as it does. It seems that the timer signals the power supply which then applies power to the bulb. But the shutter doesn't open until the bulb is up to full color temperature, which takes a second or two. So there's a delay. But once the shutter opens, it stays open for the period the timer indicated, just not synchronized. The bulb stays lit after the timer has expired, because it opens after the timer is started. So it was simply staying lit for the indicated time interval. It also stays lit after the shutter closes, so as not have an uneven exposure as the bulb powers off, which takes a couple seconds, with the color temperature slowly dropping. It doesn't just shut off instantly, in terms of light generation, as does a traditional enlarger light source. At least I think that's right. If it isn't, let me know. And thanks to those who weighed in on my post.

EST1000N Schematic needed for doing a repair.I forgot to give you my email address. It is overmoen@gmail.com
    Sincerely with thanks, Jay Overmoen

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    This is the Durst GmbH EST1000N schemiatic but I don't think it shares anything with your unit other than the initials EST in the name.
    Hi! May I ask you to send me a bigger image of the schematic? I need it to repair my unit.
    Thank you a lot!