Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
Someone more experienced than I recently explained that warm-tone papers are always slower than cold-tone papers, due to the laws of physics. And now I've forgotten why... perhaps because it's the smaller AgX crystals (that make the tone 'warm') are less sensitive to light? In any case, my own experience says every warm tone paper I've ever tried was slower than my usual cold tone papers.
You're essentially correct that it has to do with the size of the grains & smaller grains capture less light than big ones. On the other hand, those smaller grains develop faster. In more traditional papers: warmer tone = slower paper speed, faster developing time; colder tone = faster speed, longer developing time. MGWT doesn't quite comply with that - it has a longer emergence time that's generally more in line with the lower chloride content, more 'neutral' tone papers & this more than likely has to do with the use of more complex emulsion technologies in its manufacture which probably allow tight control of grain size & thus 'warmth' of the final emulsion. It's a great paper - and the ART300 even more so.