Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What lens will work for a 35x35 inch ULF mammoth wet plate camera?

What lens will work for a 35x35 inch ULF mammoth wet plate camera?

Hey everyone please help. I am out of my element on how to proceed. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I am buying a mammoth wet plate camera, maybe one of the biggest in the world. It is a 35x35 inch view camera made in the Czech Republic.

The eventual goal is to travel Canada with a cube van darkroom and camping trailer creating a major wet plate project documenting what it is to be Canadian. Landscapes and portraits made with the HF3535, and my other view cameras (4x5 to 16x20).

Here is my question...WHAT LENS or WHAT SINGLE LENS will work for me? 47 inch Red Dot Goertz Artar? (I own a 42 inch, that might kinda work, not sure if has enough coverage). What lens will have the coverage I need? What will work for me? What lens should I seek out that will cover 35x35?

This is all 5 years or so in the future. Am currently doing documentary photo work in Asia, the wet plate project is for my retirement.

Should be fun carrying around a 80-100lb camera plus extras.

Gerry
    www.gerryyaum.blogspot.com
    gerryyaum@gmail.com

Re: HELP PLEASE...Looking for a 35x35 inch ULF mammoth wet plate camera lens

Especially at retirement age! I'd use the 42" you have and keep an eye out for a 47"! A 70" Artar will certainly cover if you could ever find one. Post some photos of the camera when you get it! L
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 28-May-2017 at 06:09.

A 47" would certainly work.

Also: If you're not shooting at infinity for the majority of your work, your 42" might be fine for a lot of stuff, too. 35"x"35 is basically three feet square, so even at 1:1 you're looking at a nice waist up portrait and at 1:2 a decent full body portrait. At both those magnifications, the image circle of your 42" is going to cover the frame.

Gerry, if this catalog http://web.archive.org/web/201701231...o/goerz_3.html is to be believed, a 42" Apo-Artar covers 21 x 24 plus 15% at infinity. 36.7 inches. You need 49.5.

Many posters here say that for contact printing process lenses cover much more than catalogs claim. A 47.5 incher will cover, the catalog says, 42.4 inches.

Perhaps you should look for a six foot lens from Goerz, Nikon or Rodenstock. Alternatively, use your monster for portraits and your smaller cameras for landscapes.

Threads merged - please don't launch multiple threads on the same topic in different subforums.

Ok thanks Luis, will do. If you ever see one about please send me a note or email.

Gerry
    gerryyaum@gmail.com

M Audrey thanks so much, that is comforting. Now all I need is a flange for the lens. Will look for longer lens to shoot at infinity for distant landscapes. Here is my lens.

http://gerryyaum.blogspot.ca/2016/06...cess-lens.html

Thanks Dan...I have others tell me the 47 inch is what I need to find, somehow! Interesting thought..big camera for portraits, small for landscapes. Heck I love portraiture so that might work. Not sure what a 6 foot lens is.

Thanks Gerry

sorry OWEN am a newby here, was unsure where to put what..after the first attempt was not sure I would get any replies at all or if it was in the right location. This current thread is actually the repost (2nd) of the original which I guess I placed in the wrong area.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gerry yaum View Post
    Thanks Dan...I have others tell me the 47 inch is what I need to find, somehow! Interesting thought..big camera for portraits, small for landscapes. Heck I love portraiture so that might work. Not sure what a 6 foot lens is.

Thanks Gerry
    Six feet is approximately 70 inches, 1800 mm. Six footers were made, are scarce and usually quite expensive.