Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tripod weight rating?

Re: tripod weight rating?

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    To each his own, but I would not say it's the "best" tripod for a backpacker. At SEVEN pounds, they label the J100 as "extremely light weight" and the perfect choice for the field 4x5. They obviously play in a different field than I do.

I wonder which would be heavier -- the J100 or the suitcase full of cash that I would need to afford it?
    The tripod's heavier, $100 bills are light and frankly, you don't need that many to buy the Ries. Besides, I thought this was a LF website, not a Backpacking website. I'd also get the J100-2 instead of the J-100 though and I do have both. Much heavier duty for the weight! L

I wonder which would be heavier -- the J100 or the suitcase full of cash that I would need to afford it?

I paid $350 including shipping on Ebay for my slightly used J100 which included a Ries double tilt head.

You don't want to know what I paid for my A100. After the sale the Ebay Seller even made a comment about how he hoped I knew what a bargain I got. Hey, it's an auction and I can't help it if I'm the only bidder.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I paid $350 including shipping on Ebay for my slightly used J100 which included a Ries double tilt head.
    My very favorite LF head.

Tripod weight ratings are based on the design and configuration of the legs.

The legs don't care whether a load is on top or hanging below. It's still a load.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    I thought this was a LF website, not a Backpacking website. L
    I guess you somehow missed all the numerous, recent postings dealing with the challenges, i.e., weight, size, etc. that backpackers, who also happen to be large format photographers (or is that large format photographers who happen to be backpackers?), face. Yes, and for some of us, that includes cost.

Oh, and congratulations on your deep pockets.

Oh, and congratulations on your deep pockets.
    I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for! I bought my first Ries in 1982, I didn't buy all three last month!

While we're talking Ries, has anyone had extra leafs added to an A200 head? I have one I bought a couple of years back but since I'm using it on my V11, I thought it might be good to make it a little sturdier without having to spring for an A250-2 head since I don't have deep pockets! I called Debbie and she said it's doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for!
    You must be referring to all those Leica 35mm users that paid $1,200 in 1977 for a Elmar 80-200mm zoom that was made by Minolta -- which was selling it for $400. Or maybe you are referring to the proud owners of the expensive Leica R3 and R4 SLRs that were rebadged Minolta XE-7 and XD-11 SLRs -- selling for about 1/8th the price. Or the numerous Contax users who paid thousands more for Tomioka-made Yashica lenses. Here's what someone on a Yashica discussion forum recently said:

"You are right about Contax users dismissing Yashica lenses at the time (I'm talking 1970s-late 80s). To my shame I was one of them; it hurts to think just how much money I could have saved if I had not been so wedded to Zeiss' glass - I spent over £9400 on Zeiss lenses from 1977 to 1984 - that's around £43000 in today's money."

I could go on, but right now I'm too busy -- trying to sell a bridge in Brooklyn. Any interest?

Leicas, that makes those itty bitty negatives, right? If I wanted to spend some big bucks on a lens I'd get a 35" Artar in Copal! The only Leica I've bought was an M4 and an M6! By the way, did John Roebling have anything to do with that bridge in Brooklyn?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I'm thinking that tripod weight capacity includes weight below and above the platform, plus that of the head.
    This has been my understanding also. What does not get divulged is the margin on those ratings.